FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I have had the same problem with some of my kites. They don't sit on the sand when you hold the chicken loop assembly in moderate to strong wind. They bounce, making them poor prospects for Jon's spin the kite landing technique. A kite may ride great but there is nothing to say it has to sit there using his technique, some will and some won't.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 AM

Default Self Landing

That looks very cool. I have a SBIII. So all you do is grab the chicken loop and pull in from the center to dramatically depower the kite. I could not tell how he airmed the "landed" kite into the wind on the ground so he could get to the kite without it relaunching.

Thanks so much.

Keep it real!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Gris View Post
That looks very cool. I have a SBIII. So all you do is grab the chicken loop and pull in from the center to dramatically depower the kite. I could not tell how he airmed the "landed" kite into the wind on the ground so he could get to the kite without it relaunching.

Thanks so much.
He goes over that in the video, pay particular attention to "grabbing the top line" part. I would watch it a few more times if necessary to bring his process into clear focus. It goes without saying (again) to practice this in light winds with a large clear downwind buffer. Also, I would say this is a more advanced technique and would not suggest that newer kiters try it until they have spent quite a bit of time launching, landing, riding, etc..

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 PM

Default override stopper?

G'day Jon,

thanks for the video. I've been riding SB2's and now SB3's for the last 2 years, 99% of the time launching and landing solo using a sandbag to clip my C-loop to. Nice to have another option if I'm landing away from the bag, without having to resort to the rear line flagging ring, a spinning kite and a mess of lines.

One question: I noticed you didn't have your over-ride stopper disengaged in the video. Is that by intention?

For other SB riders following this thread - the other option we use here in Oz, is to bring the kite down onto a wingtip on the sand (over-ride disengaged), let go the bar, and then walk into the wind a little. The kite leans to windward and presses into the sand, flexing a little, but stays put. At that point if you reach up and pull hard on the top centre line, it falls LE down and safe.

Basically this is Jon's method but putting the kite on the sand first.

Good to see all the feedback and replies, this is what these forums are really valuable for, especially for riders like me that live in remote areas.

Andy
Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Oh. sorry i should have said something about that.
My bar is modified so i can do some certain tricks on my surfboard.

Though my override system is permanently engaged it is higher up than normal. This way i have 70-80% depower. If i need more i reach above my bar.

GOOD QUESTION!
feel free to ask if you have any more!
-Jon
Old 05-25-2008, 10:25 PM

Default Jon's method SB3 works, but cannot do Contra

Just saw Jon's video this past Friday so I decided to try it on my SB3 in Port Bolivar, TX and it worked great for landing and launching on 16-17 knot winds.

However, it tried the same technique (pulling the front lines) on my Cabrinha Contra 3 (17m) and I could not stop it from bouncing once it touched ground, not to mention the tension is stronger. Launching of the Contra did work for me though, it's the landing part that bugs me.

Before I saw the video, I could simply let the Contra drop gently along the edge of the window landing nice and easy hitting the ground nose first landing in safe position only requiring a small pull of the trailing line on my side to ensure it faced its nose to the wind and not relaunch. This was mostly done on 13-14 knot winds. So I'm trying to figure out a "hybrid" of the two methods that will work for me. I'm gonna try it again now that I'm back in Dallas tomorrow see how it goes. :smile:

Anyone tried landing a 17 Contra on 17 knot winds?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Default no inside ring

what inside ring are people referring to? I have an '08 Switchblade 3 that only has one ring, on the back left line. The right back line has a red ball.
there isn't anything on the inside lines.

I was taught to attach the safety leash where Jon has it. Is there a better/safer place for it. there is no place to attach it to the front lines.

Great demo on the video, I can't wait to try it next time I kite
Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

If the kite bounces, the technique shown for completely solo landing your kite is not reliable in my experience. Jon's technique of tensioning above the bar on the trim strap assembly seems to very substantially flat kites I have tried it on to date. Many do bounce excessively unlike the SB III Jon did his demo with.

Does your bar resemble the one shown below:

Question, are they still skiing at A Basin this season or are things over until the fall?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-16-2008, 10:31 PM

Rick,

The Switchblade 3 doesn't use a pulley bar and uses one of the rear lines for leash attachment.

This bat looks like the Crossbow 3 / Contra Bar.

Ken
Old 07-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

My mistake, had a hard time finding an illustration of the 1n1 bar. Just put one up. As you say, the depowering ring is on one of the back lines. I would check with somebody at Adventure Sports or Jon if we can get him on here about the advisability of adding a ring to one of the center line attachments for the leash.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi