FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-20-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Kite Lines

This might sound stupid but. I launched my waroo 08 11m today and the outside lines felt no tension at all while trying to get it up, which i never did. Do you have to adjust these lines when u get the kite or somthing?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 PM

the only stupid question would be one that you didn't ask and got yourself or someone else hurt, no one was born a kiteboarder and most of us are friendly so if you don't know, just ask!!! All your lines should be the same length, especially a brand new '08. You said you tried to launch, but never got off the ground??? Maybe your kite was too far upwind of you and you just needed to step back(upwind) a little bit??
Old 01-20-2008, 09:07 PM

well i didnt get it up because i read the winds wrong (still trying to figure those sites out) and just didn't think. i was trying to launch in an offshore wind, now thats stupid. Would that be a reason why the outside lines felt no tension?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:17 PM

I hate to point out the obvious here, but I am bit concerned with your choices today. I know you are new to the area and all, but your choice of location to launch your kite today leads me to believe you have had little or no training at all. You will not find too many people in the kiting community that will tolerate a self learner. It can be a danger to oneself, others, and put riding spots that we cherish at risk.

I do appreciate you coming into the shop to get a harness this weekend, however I would definately like to know why you tried to launch where you did today. Especially since no other kites were around you, and like 20+ kites were riding the backside of East Beach. I gave you a ride map of East Beach, but apparently you chose not to use it. This concerns me.

Your lines weren't tight due to lack of wind caused by an entire forest of trees blocking it. And if you did get it up and enter the water you probably would have been blown out into the bay and had some really big problems. Offshore winds are a bad idea. Kiting 101 Dudes have lost their kites this way.

I would be more than happy to talk with you about kiting and get you the training that you need. I had mentioned the 2.5 hour class at the shop for $50.00. It would be the best money you ever spent on the sport. I don't think you will find any shop anywhere in the world offering 2.5 hours of instruction for $50.00. Some one on one might not be a bad idea either.

I look forward to your response. Lack of response will only force me to call you out with car id, kite id, and description to note all of the riders in the area to keep an eye out for you and find out what's up.

Steve-O
WSW
Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Tom Stock

Get trained or die trying... literally.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:36 PM

Exclamation

WLLIX,

Get some lessons dude. You will realize once you learn to kite that one of the biggest dangers for ones self, and others, is someone who does not follow protocol.

No one will fault you for asking questions, but you have no one to blame but yourself when the S' hits the fan if you are not properly trained.

You can ask anyone on here about storys from the skyway where a guy got lofted and landed on the rocks, got taken out on a stretcher, or the guy at cypress who lost his kite kiting in offshore winds.

Steve-O is a very knowledgable guys, as well as many of the others on here. If you don't think lessons are important, ask around and you will see an outpour of responses.

Nothing personal. At best getting lessons will introduce yourself to some people in the kiting community.

Danny
Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 PM

dont worry stevo takin second lesson befor i go out. Thanks for your concern.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:18 AM

i am a firm believer in taking lessons. i'v spent a lot of time with wakeboarding and flying my kite from the beach and doing about 10 body drags before trying to kitesurf and this weekend i got up for the first time on the first try and went about 150 yards before trying to tack and ditching it. what im trying to say is that without lessons i would still be trying to self launch my kite let alone get out on the water. good luck with the lessons.
as a side note, the offer from Steve-o $50 for 2.5 hours is a very good deal. trust me because i'v spent a hell of a lot more than that.
be safe and have fun.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllix View Post
dont worry stevo takin second lesson befor i go out. Thanks for your concern.
As a newbie myself, i hope that your 2nd lesson is with a certified instructor. It sounds as if you are in dire need of help and to be honest, you should invest the money and time with Steve-o in a series of lessons if you can. Putting yourself or another fellow kiter in jeopordy due to lack of knowledge is irresponsible.

Be smart. Be safe.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 AM

Kitesurfing is an extreme sport as you know. So by definition there are inherent risks associated with it. Pushing the "safe bounderies" is something we (kiters) just do.
For example: gandy to skyway w/out boat support, giving lessons w/out boat support, riding w/out a hook knife, learning advanced tricks w/out a helmet, the list is long.
Every kiter I know has done something they could be called out on including myself. Steve-O seems to be very passionate about keeping our access open and our reputation clean. I haven't seen his kind of dedication since "Eagle" strolled our shores. I'm pretty sure ALL of his (Steve-O's) lessons are done with boat support. If Steve-O, Steve Sadler, Randy, or the Triton guys are backed up with too many students and can't get to you soon, consider just hanging out and watching for a session or two.
Introducing yourself on a forum after an "almost" kitemare takes big brass balls...so, your probly gonna be a ripper after one of our qualified LOCAL instuctors gets you pointed in the right direction.
L8r