FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-28-2006, 05:14 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
you could in theory hold down more power, but you loose your POP

WRONG!

You definitely can hold down more power AND HAVE MUCH BIGGER POP ON A SMALLER BOARD

A biigger board doesn't let you load up as aggressively and then release as well at the last second
Old 09-28-2006, 11:24 AM

actually yes you hold more power down smaller board but, if you can hold the bigger board down it will provide more pop more release off the water. but like i said MY OPINION DOES NOT HAVE TO BE YOURS.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 AM

besides we digress. The mission board is a killer board fast tons of pop, strong, light, holds down insane amounts of power. so if your not going with a custom board i see no other option..
Old 09-28-2006, 01:36 PM

ive only ridden large boards so this is just a question im putting out..

wouldnt a smaller board be able to turn to an edge faster for a better pop off the water?

then again.. with a big wide, small rocker board you'd probably have considerably more speed going into that edge/pop...

if anyone of you could ...ummm.. generate some wind around these parts i'd like to put all these theories to a test. your cooperation is appreciated.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Can't Re-member

slipping into my physics hat/geek hat...

People are forgetting about one thing, DRAG.

Drag is a function of Surface Area and Velocity and Viscosity and ( i believe ) Surface Adhesion Properties ( forgot the exact word ).

Let's keep Viscosity constant since it doesn't change, water is water. Now you have drag as a function of speed and surface adhesion and area.

lets also assume big wide board is traveling at same speed as small skinny board so that leaves Area and surface adhesion of board as the only variables.

Now, the single most overiding issue with getting big air ( assuming equally powered up ) is " A Clean Release " . I would argue that " clean release " is a function of rocker, and width and length ( area ) , and surface adhesion. More rocker and less area = " cleaner release " whereas less rocker and more area = " less cleaner release ". Less board in the water amounts to a cleaner release.

Two different sized boards can have the same surface adhesion properties
so that leaves rocker and area as determinants of " a clean release " which is actually drag.

In a nutshell you are going to have the water itself trying as hard as possible " not to let you go " on the bigger board you are on vs. the smaller board you are riding. And we're not even getting into the last millisecond teak you're able to give that small board that you just can't put on that bigger board
Old 09-28-2006, 03:09 PM

The way you get more pop from a board is the shape. A board thats is more square like the mission or the JL park or even a wave tray will have more pop than a board with a ovular shape like a JL charger. Thats how pop is generated by the board. The mission is an insane board thats for sure. I do ride it alot it really is a good board. The only thing I am saying is why ride a cadillac when you could ride a ferarri.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
The way you get more pop from a board is the shape.

Rocker , flex and outline are the other shape/ material variables

in my previous example I was keeping flex and outline constant just having rocker variable since bigger boards have less rocker than smaller boards.

otherwise pretty soon you have too many variables........I tried to stick with just the most significant ones for this exercise
Old 09-28-2006, 03:29 PM
tomstock

If you are on a smaller board, you need more power to plane and stay upwind, so naturally you will be able to jump higher because you have more power available to you. When you move to a bigger board you have a huge range, but you also tend to ride less powered up, and therefore you can't jump as high. Also, you can't hold as much power down with the edge.

The amount you can hold down really depends on your weight and your experience. You'll see pros all riding tiny boards. Billy rides a tiny little underground 122 or something rediculous like that.

No way in hell I could ride that board and ever stay up wind and still be able to stand the pain I would be suffering from the constant load on my harness.

One more thing, extremely short and wide boards (like the super phatty) jump and hold an edge pretty darn good. Landings are a little hard but really not bad.

I started with small boards and have finally settled on a best float because it falls right into the 133x42 range which seems to be perfect for me at 190lbs.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 PM

okay you guys are way off andre phillip rides a 138 yo u do the math. sure you can sink your small board but you can get more effective edge in hte water to hold against the kite. if your willing to give it more you will give it more pop. IF anyhting the mission is a ferrari. if you ride the bigger board while it takes more effort to pop it will pay off. So my vote go witht he mission 138. look at wakeboarders cable riders etc.. yes pop is the drag you get from the board but look at speed too.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 PM

Thats what I said basically I ride the mission up to 30. In 30+ I ride a smaller board. Beside who wants to do wakestyle on anything smaller than a 9 anyways. True wakestyle is hard as shit on anything smaller than a 9. You would be sending the kite all over the place once you have un-hooked and poped. I agree that the mission is an awesome board but not my choice in 30+. Last time I tried a ralley to blind on a 7 it went horrably wrong and hurt pretty bad. Looping a 7 is not really that fun. Or atleast my idea of fun.