FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-17-2010, 01:51 PM

Umm. We could start by naming this loser. Or did I miss that?
Several times over the years names have been withheld. Why?

Too bad the cops don't just video tape people repeatedly riding in the SZ at that spot and then fine them 200 bucks each time. They could make some serious money and maybe the spot could stay open.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Too bad the cops don't just video tape people repeatedly riding in the SZ at that spot and then fine them 200 bucks each time.
b/c there was no enforceable law on the books for the fine, it would have been thrown out in court.

now there is.

some poor kiter from outta town will now think it's a perfectly good day to kite there and get slapped with a $200 ticket even if he was courteously following all the previous rules.

I do not understand the redaction of the transgressors there either.

Hopefully they don't show up on MB or MH , but I'm sure they'll find a way
to spoil those venues too.

I remember many many (one-way) kitesurfing adventures across the RB bridge there on the Wip's. One time I even kitesurfed from the other side to hobie when John Kerry was windsurfing there. one of the best times me and Kent were out there on 7m foils on a SSW. this really really blows....I mean sucks.....
Old 12-17-2010, 02:12 PM

Smile

very sad.
we had our opportunities to save it. Many times !
it just sliped out our hands for a same handfull of idiots.
We know it , we said it , we have seen it , we have talked about it , we even know the bad seeds, but we all let it happened. Now we cry.

Self policing has a very limited chance of success. Let's face it , in a community there will be always individuals not abiding by the rules, with no Integrity, no righteousness and no respect for self or others and at the end a threat for all of us.
It is because of those few individuals that rules are created and unfortunately enforcement is needed.

Well In the end it confirms me one thing : We are doing the right thing in Crandon and Matheson : Rules and beach marshalls may be a pain at first , but eventually that is how we protect us all against those idiots.

See it that way : to avoid getting all banned , we ban the bad guys in first lieu...
that's our job at a concession: not always easy for the poor guy in charge , but much more efficient in the long term for the preservation and the safety of the access to all conscious-minded riders.
In Miami at least we have no choice , with so limited riding spots, and so many potential liability issues , we are on close watch form the authorities.
Hobie is the exact example.

Not trying to make a profit from the situation, but we had skipped Hobie a long time ago ( 10 years now !) with our boats and shuttle to the flats all our students .
We have 2 brand new boats with Captains, now and available for shuttle on West wind.
Or for extended downwinders up to 15milles. Time to ride away from the beach and push the distances a bit.
check us out on www.miamikiteboarding.com and get on the Taxiboat line.

Christophe Ribot
Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM

Same Pricks every time... I think Name and shame would be a good idea so everyone knows who it was and can stay well away from them next time. How about someone puts together some evidence and sends all this to the IKO and PASA and have there Qualification Removed, once that is removed then you can hit the forums hard about the illegal business that they run. Just my 2cents

Also If you guys need a place to ride in West Winds come and check out Bimini Kiteboarding, we have Flats, Waves, Bump and Grind, many many locations to ride from in crystal clear blue water. A little warmer than Miami too.

Lots of specials running at the moment including cheap flights.

info@biminikiteboarding.com

www.biminikiteboarding.com
Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

as much as we might like to we cannot use names. the identity of this long term instructor's common knowledge here. other than perhaps 1 large kiter I can't give you the identity of the other 15 guys running on the inside. They know who they are as will kiters who give a damn to help try to avoid this next time

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Fair enough for not naming people but if those where my beaches....

At the end of the day losing a beach to Kite from is one thing but what about the potential students that these guys are teaching? What if they get hurt? It not only buts a bad rep onto those that are doing the teaching but it puts a bad rep on the sport in general. If these guys are acting like such idiots then you all need to come together and report them to the necessary people and have it stopped. If they are a legitimate business then contact the IRS and see if they pay taxes? Find out if they are insured? If not report them to the police for Endangering people. There has to be something you guys can do.

It seems that this kind of thing has been going on for some time and it wont stop unless you as a community put a stop to it.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:37 PM

I am very sorry to hear about this ban. but "call the IRS"?????
Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 AM
thebestkite

Default Protect ?

@ Bimini Kiteboarding

How would you feel after setting up shop at your location that in a time frame of 6 months you loose your concession, and thus your income. Great spot waves and water, but someone ****ed it up, your next riders meeting will be where ...

You could be forewarned !

BSO post pictures of those in jail with mugshots.
http://sheriff.org/about_bso/admin/m...pk=149&sType=N
We would like to know who ruins it for us ! Just because the moderator "feels" it is not right, we do not know these people. Instead having an open database, we now must rely on "worth of mouth". And that worked as it showed. Let the internet finally work in OUR favor !

I want to know which clown I am riding with, and especially if he does not have the same interest in the spot I frequent.
Due to this lack of pro activeness, we are loosing spots instead of winning the authorities over and getting approval for more spots to ride.

Soccer bans players who do not behave. Many sports have public interest and hence have public "hangings". NFL surely patrols there players on and off the field. Baseball, basketball, golf etc all work to set role models and do not tolerate those who do not fit in. This sport is too big and has so many riders that we need more access. So many business have been created in the last 10 years in South Florida that rely on kiteboarding as primary income. Any further loss of access will certainly hurt their bottom line.

Maybe it is time to protect our limited resources and see a brighter and bigger future. This IS the time to find out so we know !

!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 AM

I don't get it either. Apparently the internet has no purpose in terms of self policing. After all, "they know who they are, and so do those who give a damn".

Imo, anyone truly interested in protecting spots that are in obvious danger of being lost needs to make efforts to work with authorities to set up some basic rules and work to give the authorities the ability to impose fines on individuals, as opposed to ban an entire group. I can't see the cops passing up the ability to make a few hundred a day myself (or have a non-problem if people don't break the simple rules). In this case, it's clear that no one was suppose to be in the swim zones. Why not just let authorities profit from the few who break this simple rule? It's probably harder than this, but maybe not.

I personally am not a fan of cops, rules or regs. BUT, if it starts to become clear that a spot might be lost in St. Pete, I would be the first stating to the authorities that most riders pose no threat to others in the area and that maybe we could reach a compromise to a ban. I did that once years ago, and if necessary, will do it again.
In the case of local beaches with "beach cops", discussing very basic rules with associated fines seem like the best approach. Primarily because it pays for authorities' time to deal with yahoos and gives them incentive (money) to deal with individuals as opposed to banning groups.

Again, not a huge fan of talking with authorities, but if a few well spoken and responsible riders do this proactively, then it seems better than having the least well spoken and least responsible rider cussing at an authority person after they rode like a jerk. At this point in time, I see no problems in St. Pete and therefore have begun no discussions.
As I said though, about 7 years ago we got banned from North Beach (Ft. DeSoto) and it seemed like East Beach was next. I talked to the park ranger and and it turned out well. Primarily because he was level headed.
I think when presenting such an argument, it is important to persuade the "guy in charge" that indeed a vast majority of kiters pose no threat and policing of them would be relatively easy. If you can't do that, your argument is doomed.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 AM

If you attempt to use the authorities to enforce your rules and the idiot is disrespectful to the authority while he is doing the enforcement, you see what you get. You get banned all together. It's easier for them to ban you than put up with crap from the bad apples. If the local riders approach him and he gives them crap your not banned.