FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Bahamian Kiteboarding Forum
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-25-2008, 01:20 AM

Default Green Turtle Cay Bahamas

Hey,

This is a link to some pictures from Green Turtle Cay. We had light winds that blew from every direction and rode just about every side of the island. I had a blast.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...r&linkid=link4

Clew In
Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Great shots CI! Looks like a marvelous island trip. Thanks for sharing your photos. Many more excellent images at the link above.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Had some questions, have yet to make it up to Green Turtle. Probably won't make it next time either. They treat the sand bar at Whale Cay just to the south as a barrier to navigation for rental boats.

Anyway, where did you stay there and how was it? What was your favorite riding area? Did you see any likely wave spots? Did you checkout the Gully Roosters?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Hey Rick,

I stayed in a 2 bedroom home (Tranquility) Bita Bay. It was nice and the views were spectacular. We flew from Daytona to Treasure Cay and took a water taxi to Green Turtle Cay. Travel is pretty painless for a place like that. Rented a golf cart for our transportation. It was nice to have the town of New Plymouth with three grocery stores and a liquor store. They say the population is around 300. They also have a snorkle dive center and fishing guides.

The Gully Roosters were there and they are the number one band in the nation I might add. They were at the Green Turtle Club on a Wednesday night. The lead man for the band played at Pineapples one night also they are great.

I liked Bita Bay (probably because it was in front of the home we were at) and there is reef several hundred yards out with waves. The 4th(last) picture you posted is Bita Bay and just to the south is Gilliam Bay. We had light winds and they blew from every direction. We kited Bita Bay, Gilliam Bay, South tip of island and Coco Bay. The south tip and Ocean beach we accessed by boat; however, you can reach launchable spots by a short walk. It is just easier to use the boat to cary the shark bite kit(beer cooler).

The first picture you posted is Gilliam Bay and behind that point to the left is Bita Bay. 1000 yards out behind the point are the waves.

The second picture is a view of Coco Bay. It is on the north west side of the island and is on the Sea of Abaco side.

Lots of shallow water and beauty everywhere. In image 222 of the slide show I had a large ray next to me and that is Coco Bay.

I did not rent a boat; however, Eddie Toy knows some of the locals that do and they let us tag along. Thanks to Eddie for all his hospitality. He is talking about getting a crowd together and staying on the island and having a large sail boat to use to venture out and go to spots depending on wind conditions and to use to do some down winders.

I am looking forward to returning.

Clew In
Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for the info, good stuff for planning a visit. Sounds like a nice place for a kiting visit, rideable from all directions at one point or another. It must be very nice if a strong front times out just so. Almost checked out the Roosters at a wedding. Did catch their act at the Dive Show in Ft. Lauderdale recently.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 AM

Hey Rick,

Some of the Saint Augustine Guys may be going back the day after Christmas to New Years.

http://www.junkanoo.com/

I certain you will hear more after the summer.

Clew In
Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds like fun. I was in Nassau for New Years a while back. The Bahamians really know how to throw a block party. Grabbed some more of your photos to put up.

Is this a look out your back door? Could you ride over the reef between the cays into deep water and waves?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-30-2008, 07:37 AM

Hey Rick,

That was the view out my back door(looking left). The spit of land runs for a short distance and the reef runs all the way to the private island in the second picture.

The second picture is looking to the right of the home we rented in Bita Bay(the picture with the yellow kite). In the view behind me that is a private Island.

The third picture is the south tip of island with the private island in the back ground. If you could see to the left you would have Gilliam Bay and next would be Bita Bay.

Clew In