FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 AM

Default 3 waroos 3 bridles break in one weekend.

how flippin odd.

bought my 9, 12m's in early 2006 and my 16 about 2 months later.. been riding them ever since w/o a single issue.

then.. on the weekend of New Years we had that great wind that came thru for a few days..

all three of my kites broke their front bridles.. all three were LITTERALLY hanging by a thread and I didnt notice the break until I was wrapping the kite up.

call me LUCKY MF.

especially for the 12 and 9 as I was out in the far channel on New Years day w/ both kites in nuking conditions.

Maybe the inner line in the bridles are stronger than they look .. all my bridles were frayed and only the small inner white line was visible.

I replaced 9 and 16 with heavy duty Q-line .. need to do up the 12 before this weekend..

just odd that all 3 would break at the same time.. Is there an expiration date on them? hahha

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Skyway Scott

I am loving the bridled kites, it's the bridles I could do without.

Bridles do break. I had one on my RRD break and go into a death spiral on me a ways back.
The other one broke in less than 12 knots. I have replaced both with Q line. So far, so good.
Doing a visual inspection every once in a while is probably a good idea. The nice thing about Q line is it will be obvious when it is about to go.
It will fray it's outer sheathing and start to show white on the inside.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Tom Stock

The 06 bridles were strong on the outside sleeving but the inner cord was weak. I also broke both of mine just a week ago (a bird hit one and it broke!). Considering a sandy pulley has been riding on them for over a year it's no surprise they finally broke.

Here's how you fix em quickly with Q line:

Cut out the large V sections that the pulley rides on leaving about 6 inches on the ends where the first vertical bridle attaches to this line. Put a few figure 8 knots there one inch apart (for adjustments if necessary later).

Cut two pieces of Q line and tie loops in each end (they should be 178 inches long for the 16, or 143 inches long for the 12 after the loops are in.. double check against old bridle to be safe). Loop them around the knots in the remainder of the bridle, and the other end to the pigtail on the tip and you are all set.

Removable bridle sections which can easily be replaced without having to tie all of the other knots too.

I can show you if you need pics.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 PM

thats very similar to what i did:

the long line the pulleys ride on.. i cut it a couple inches below the knot that the inner V rides on. i created Q-line larkshead extender w/ 5 knots spaced 1 inch apart and connect that on the outside knot where i cut the bridle. i then created a larkshead knot on the end of a segment of Q-line and attaced it to the center knot of the extender (so i could adjust in either direction in the case that one side got fouled up).. i measured that out to the proper length using the other bridle side for exact measurement ( I didnt know the 178 inches detail.. just did it the old fashioned way). i was carefull to ensure that the line w/ the outer edge larkshead knot was the exact needed length and all was done.

basically the same as yours..i just created a Q-line extender w/ the multi-knot adjustment points.

then i was able to take the remenants of the front bridle and create new outside extenders (line is thicker) so those areas that showed a bit of wear are now fine.

16m kite flies perfect.. rode it yesterday for a couple hours..

with my new kites coming in, these will prob never get flown again by me..but they should be in perfect shape to sell.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-17-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Lucky Mf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanleighty View Post

call me LUCKY MF.
LUCKY MF