FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Too Big A Kite, Blown Ashore

A well experienced kiter with better than normal reactions was still overpowered on a 9 m kite, blown into shore and eventually lofted inland. He managed to open two quick releases within 2 or 3 seconds based on the video. Many kiters never get to one in that time and just flying in to impact.

The moral is, don't go out without the right sized kite for actual conditions even if you are well skilled and experienced in similar conditions. If you don't have the experience in such conditions and don't have a small enough kite you would be nuts to go out in the first place, so DON'T. We have real strong winds and large seas off Southeast Florida today. Don't make a serious mistake by going out rigged too big and/or without similar recent experience in such conditions.

I was out riding in some strong conditions a few weekends back, winds around 28 to 33 kts. and waves approaching triple head high at points on the outside. As I was heading north, I saw a kite fly inland at speed over the dune. The video of what I saw (though a helmet mounted GoPro HD) and interview with the lofted kiter follow. The still images included in the video happened over a period of less than five seconds. These things happen VERY fast and it is rare for some one to move so quickly. He should have not gone out in the first place rigged too big, failing that he should have totally depowered and landed his kite before being lofted. Wearing reasonable safety gear like a good helmet, impact vest, carrying a hook knife, etc.., makes sense.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 10-30-2011 at 08:57 AM.