FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Onshore lofting by novice kiters...protecting riding areas...

Heard a unknown kiter up in Ormond by the Sea got blown up onto the beach and their gear got wrapped up into the power lines on busy A1A. Not a good thing. 2 FPL trucks were called out to help assist the removal of the kite from the lines. It was blowing 20-30 dead onshore and I believe he was a beginner kiter. Distance from A1A to the waters edge is less then 50 yards.

Another kiter dumps his brand new kite on a cactus bush. Has been told repeatedly not to kite in that location because of no downwind buffer zone.

Why do these people not listen to other seasoned riders when it comes to kiting safely?

And here's the best one yet....My friend has been teaching his buddy how to landboard. No lie.....it's the blind leading the blind here. It's blowin' 30mph+ and this guy thinks sending the kite back and jumping on CONCRETE is too cool. Upon several requests of not jumping and the conseq. that can happen. This guy sends it.......gets' hit by a gust. And is lofted 10ft. into the air in a superman position. Kite loops...powers up....and he slams to the concrete breaking his ankle. Requiring 2 pins to hold it together.

All of this happens within acouple of days. I'm now taking more of a proactive effort to police the places that I like to kite. Sooner or later we're probably gonna have designated riding spots due to such incidents.

How do you politely ask someone to pack up their gear and head to a beginner kiter spot? Should I post a sign down at the beach for rules and regulations for kiting advanced riding spots? Just seems to me that these people are getting their kites off Ebay and just showing up at the beach. With little to no instruction.

Time to lead by example.....to keep my riding area safe & sound.