FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-27-2007, 12:41 PM

cool deal amber..

can you post some pics? or a website? waterproof?

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 PM

here is a link to the promotions company that i have contact with. As you can see there are TONS of options. Need to narrow down by durability and water-proof. I've got stuff to do at work so i can't search thru them but the catalog i have in front of me has some that self-laminate whatever you stick underneath (business card size, etc)

Take a look and see what you think.

gotta go fight fraud

http://www.rockstarpromos.com/

type in luggage tag where it says keyword and you'll get TONS of results

Last edited by amber; 08-27-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: forgot link!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:33 PM

even something like the "801-Tag" would be great.. simple.. cheap (25 cents) and I think it would snap under any load so that it would not be an added risk to wear it.

could put a hi-vis colored laminated card inside w/ info and thats would be that..

in the search.. add price ranges below to trim the results..

the "TAG-NAME2" style is pretty much exactly what I was thinking of as well..

good find..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-27-2007, 04:57 PM

I like this one too...(IL40-1)
I'm not sure if anyone is still thinking about the ribbon thing, but i was thinking that: 1. We all have more than one kite and 2. we all share kites

Anyway...most of us don't share harnesses and we mostly wear the same one all the time. You aren't going to forget the luggage tag if you don't forget your harness. Emergency info provided (just in case)

The instructors could choose the cards that go inside. (this could be as simple and cheap) as printing stuff off someone's home computer on neon computer paper and then putting it into this tag.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:07 PM

I have not read the whole thread so someone may have come up with this idea already.

Have we reviewed the possibility of requiring or at least promoting the use of helmets at our launch sites for newer riders? At least until the rider can demonstrate that they are of intermediate level or above? I know we can't "enforce" this persay anywhere but in DeSoto with the Rangers backing, but we could post it on the signs which would encourage the use of a helmet.

I wore mine religiously for a very long time, then admittedly have slacked off quite a bit last season...because lets face it, not many like wearing a helmet. But maybe encouraging it until riders are at that intermediate level wouldn't be a bad idea... I think we have had several head lacerations in the last few years as a result of accidents as well including this most recent injury at the Skyway...just a thought, throwing it out there and know it will get plenty of backlash but in my opinion it isn't that big a deal to wear a helmet until you are an intermediate level rider...

Steve-O, this also may be a topic for conversation at the shop, letting the newer kiters know that a helmet would be expected of newbies coming in so they know what to expect? Just an idea, not trying to throw rules at WSW...

Okay, now you can all crucify my post!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 PM
popeye

I agree with the helmet idea... beginners should always wear a helmet. It's a great way to identify them too.

Since I often wear a helmet people would stay far away from me. No complaints here.

I also have been slacking on the helmet lately... but I try to wear it when it's blowing 20+ or when a spot is crowded with new riders I don't know... like backside.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

You guys are fortunate that the primary access threats seem to be from new riders, that simplifies things. Not all areas have that advantage.

Regarding helmet use, experienced guys (3 yrs+) have been far more likely to suffer severe injury, 65 % vs. 17 %, (including brain trauma, one of the more common types of severe injury) than newbies (<1 yr.). More at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4125

By all means suggest new guys wear good lids, makes sense. But at the same time please keep in mind who has been carrying the greater risk for sometime.

You are doing a good job getting organized and generating a productive flow of ideas. Well done.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
popeye

Because they cost $30... and PASA cards expire if you don't pay your yearly till.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
I will follow any rules we agree upon

Rule 37.56.89_C:
no landing kites by there bridles.....
Old 08-28-2007, 08:12 AM
popeye

Unfortunately new riders try to copy what the experienced riders are doing even if it means jumping 100 feet from shore.

You can witness this on any big day at East Beach as everyone competes for the "show space" where the best riders are doing the big stuff.

If the experienced riders can break the rules, so can the newbie.

Are we prepared to ask the best riders to jump further out?