FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-23-2009, 07:10 AM

Default city,s approval

Neil gave me a great portable grill for the beach and boat yesterday, so , let the "grillin" begin, We did ask for both poles to be removed, but they were adamnant about two poles coming out as they want to keep boats out of the swim area. Maybe if we had asked for three to be removed they might have compromised with two ?
Who knows, if kiteboarding gets as big and crowded as I think it is going to get in the future , we may be able to approach the city again, ,but as of now they have been really helpfull and I am just gratefull for the removal of that one pole that seems to move into our way all the time.

We might be able to get them to extend the rock jetty out a quarter of a mile to create more smooth water, place the powerlines under ground and widen the beach for us too, WOOWEE, i AM HAVING THOSE FANTASIES AGAIN...

Have a good weekend Frank, hope you get some wind up there, we have nothing down here,so I am going to Bogarts for happy hour, Kim is training to work there on Sundays.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg meintjes View Post
We did ask for both poles to be removed, but they were adamnant about two poles coming out as they want to keep boats out of the swim area.
buoys! buoys!!!!! Trade all the poles for buoys!

Brad Lange
Seven Kiteboarding, Islamorada, Florida Keys
www.sevensports.com
305-853-KITE
Old 05-23-2009, 08:08 AM

Default city,s approval

Hey Brad whats up ? The city does not have the money for that, and we are not organised enough to launch that much of a campaign, although most of the riders here are supportive , this is key west and a lot of them work 2 jobs just to survive here so do not have the time and others are content to just go with the flow, also, too much change and regulation could become a bad thing, we want to keep a nice relaxed atmosphere at the beach but make it safer , more fun and ensure that it remains a kite riding area. Although I make money through taking people out to the backcountry to teach and ride, Smathers is still my favourite spot and the locals hangout when the Eastwinds are blowing. Well since there is no wind today, I guess I will take the "OLD DARLENE" out to the sandbar to clean her bottom before heading out to happyhour.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Default "Old Darlene"

Shouldn't the name be "New Darlene?" Speaking of Darlene....
Old 05-24-2009, 06:32 PM

Default city,s approval

Nice pic , thanks for checking into that i phone app, I have been checking int SUP,s for you, the one that I e mailed you about is 11 ft, and everyonesaid You should get a 12 ft one, Westi who organises the key west paddle board classic said he would be happy to help you find one, he is a really stand up guy and won't steer you wrong, e mail him at
madwesty@yahoo.com or call him at (305) 797 1174 . I saw him today out on his board so give him a shout out.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 AM

The guy that developed the phone app for Blackberry e-mailed me back. He is currently working on the iPhone app. Says that the apple platform makes it a lot harder to develop.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:50 AM

Hey Greg,
If you're going to remove one of the poles, shouldn't it be the 3rd one since it will open up more useful riding space? The space between pole 1 and 2 has a jetty between them. Just my 2 cents.
~Nick