FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-21-2006, 06:08 AM

Default Cypress Fri @ 4

should pick up again like it did yesterday, ill be there at 4, anybody else in?
Old 04-21-2006, 06:51 AM

I will be there.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:04 AM

What was it blowing over there yesterday??
I've got some business over that way so I might be there.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:35 AM

I couldn't confirm with a wind meter but it looked like it was blowing 15 to 18 as I was driving across the Howard Franklin.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:45 AM

i wasnt there, but i heard someone was there riding, dont know who though...
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 AM

Scott Fears was at Cypress yesterday. I spoke to him shortly before he rigged.

I was at the backside of the Skyway, only enough wind for a couple of riders (when I got there it was like 14 - 15 but quickly dropped to like 11-12)...my machine has a blown bladder still and I didn't have a patch kit so all I had was my UG MC 158 and a 15M Fuel. Jayson showed up with a 16M Turbo Diesel from WSW and I was REALLY impressed with how powered up he was on it...he eventually couldn't get upwind though but I think the strong current had a lot to do with it. Hauss was there too and was well powered on his 13M? but we all know that he probably weighs about as much as one of my daily craps...lucky bastard!!! He ended up the day with his kite falling out of the sky and carrying his kite back anyway...THAT's how light it got... There was another guy who was a coach for a tennis female pro who was riding a 19M Fuel. I spoke to the tennis player for a few minutes and she was pretty cool. There were two newer girls out there, both VERY cool and I am glad to see that we are getting more women riders in our area...VERY cool!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Skyway Scott

It blew solid 15 til I left around 7. No one else there (except the fishermen)
I think the pattern we had ran its course. If it blows, it might be more a SSW at EB type gig. I hope it does happen, Donna had to work the last few days while I was riding and wants to ride.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Do you frequently have fairly solid sea breezes over there in May, June, etc. in Tampa? I went out for my first wind lemon run last night off of Delray. It WAS a solid 12 to 13.5 mph but soon lulled to 8 mph with whimpy puffs up. Summer in Florida (SE Florida?)!

We do get sea breezes in the higher teen mph but are rare in most years. I am wondering if useable sea breezes may be more common over your way?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-21-2006, 11:30 AM

The only thing that is common on this coast during the late spring/summer is getting skunked..
The sea breeze is pretty much hit or miss, meaning if you are there, rigged and waiting for it, you might ride for an hour.
If you aren't there, by the time you do get there it's often not worth even rigging.

Land breezes after sunset on the other hand are more common and we'll get 15-25 mph east winds for 1-4+ hours. Some of the best riding in this area may-aug is after sundown.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Skyway Scott

I wouldn't personally call it hit or miss Bryan although nothing with wind is a guarantee, seabreezes (NW) exhibit fairly predictable pattern once you know what you are looking for.
You are right, if you are not there right before it happens, or soon after it begins, you may as well stay home, unless one hour of riding is worth it to you.

This time of year (past 6 weeks or so) they usually blow for about 3 hours. We are beginning to run out of our seabreeze season (as soon as the dominant high moves east and showers start to happen)