FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.Quinn View Post
Its interesting that this users account as well as "Kiteboard101101" was only created today.... and these are the only ever posts. I wonder who they are??? Maybe they are the guys in question and can not speak up for themselves????
Its funny you say that because i dont even kite so dont come pointing fingers... not gonna lie those guys shred though. I created an account because i saw this thread and recognized some of the mentioned. I just thought it add my thoughts on it.... ha Nice try tho sherlock.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

All these guys are experienced local riders, some have been at it for years. They know the rules, ANYONE who spends anytime around Ft. Lauderdale Beach knows you stay outside the buoys. I learned that in no uncertain terms decades back growing up there, nothing has changed in that regard either.

How long did it take for these guys, riding back and forth to cover the entire Ft. Lauderdale Public Beach, thirty minutes, more? In the photos, they were approaching within 50 ft. of the beach, the buoys are about 400 ft. offshore! Lifeguards were in fits, perhaps 20 of them at several hundred foot intervals, trying to get these guys out of the swim area. If a guard is repeatedly blowing his whistle, running down by the water and you are 800 ft. offshore, you can't miss it. At 50 to 200 ft., it is right in your face and something you can't ignore, unless you choose to.

What is the greatest problem we've had at Ft. Lauderdale, for almost TEN YEARS, guys riding inside the buoys in the swim zone. Thanks to a lot of hard work, it has become more rare. This is common knowledge and why lots of us spent a great deal of time in Commission meetings for years trying to preserve access here. Multiply that by a few hundred times, and that is what Neil has invested in trying to keep the sport alive here. No way, this should be trashed for the misguided efforts of a very few riders.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 PM

There you go Sherlock, your shredders are ruining access for PUBLIC beaches for what several people have spent years trying to protect!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 PM

Good to know chris...
Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 PM

Seems like some people on here are getting bent out of shape because "some people" are being called out for riding in the swim zones, taunting life guards and disrespects people and authority figures...

I've got the solution to everyones problems and its easy:

1) Stay out of the swim zones, its good for everyone.

2) Just show some decent respect to the people trying to look out for you and other beach goers, because yes a lifeguard will come to save you even if you are being a pain in the ass kiteboarder!

Danny
Old 03-25-2010, 10:36 PM

Default respect the lifeguards

agree about respecting the life guards.

it's easy to piss and moan when your getting the whistle for riding too close. But doesn't the perspective change dramatically when you've crashed your kite and need assistance. Nobody is immune to an accident, and that is why these men and women are there.

I immediately think of the tragedy of Steve Shafer...that lifeguard put it on the line to save him. They would do it for you too.

Show respect, bottom line.

shame on the riders going inside the buoys on purpose. Very careless and selfish

-patrick
Old 03-26-2010, 01:23 AM

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but..... if you know the names & have pictures of them doing it, plus the lifeguards statements. Can't the police issue fines ? If that dosent work how about a little jail time for repeat offenders ?? Sounds like law enforcment needs to be alerted to the issue.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:51 AM
thebestkite

Default Need air to ride

Next time you catch one of these guys kites,
well just make sure that kite will not ever inflate again.

Self control is what we preach, so eliminate the tool that causes effect.
Post their names, type of kite and pics on these BBB. Front and center on a BLACK LIST. We probably even know where they live, locals right ?
We can police ourselves and we have worked hard and long to be able to ride in Ft.Laud.
If reasoning does not work, self policing will have to step up a notch.
Take the tool that gives them to act and strike back with it, disable the kite.

It is a rigorous step, I know, but we spend more combined on kites and gear then 4 or so idiots that don't share our view.
Unless they have endless amounts of cash, their sport they want so bad, will be not available to them.
Surfers in California protect their spots and we can too. Time to step up, we are with MORE, so we can do it.
Deflate them the last time, and we retain our access !! F**k them, so they won't do it to us !!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:08 AM
thebestkite

Exclamation Immediate action required

Self policing was non existent and not enough in your face at Hobie Beach Miami. A and B's actions were clearly never challenged, nor did they look to scared doing something they knew not to do. As the videos clearly show. Very sad, and these guys are "instructors"

The same lack of action and indifference will get kiting in Fort Lauderdale banned.
We need to go after these local kooks and make sure in no uncertain terms and actions, that this terrible disrespect will never happen again.

We need to teach these dogs a few new things so they remember and respect Fort Lauderdale. Reasoning and just rules are not being respected.
And we have many "teachers" here in Ft. Lauderdale. We have all a common vested interest in this.

We can do it, control and spread the word.

Last edited by ricki; 03-26-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 AM

1 cell phone + 1 camera + 1 phone call = fat fine and trespassing warrants, repeat as necessary.

Be sure to tell the cops you are also a kiter and don't want everyone to take the fall for these morons.