FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

There is no hesitation, I've spent many hours talking about this very subject with law enforcement on several occasions in a bunch of jurisdictions over quite a few years. Neil has likely spent even more time than me at it in Ft. Lauderdale. It sounds good, logical and easy just like not having this idiotic problem in the first place. The reality is, it often isn't that simple for varying reasons. That doesn't mean we won't keep trying for assistance from law enforcement, because we still are. Just spoke to two officers about this subject in another jurisdiction last week for a couple of hours. They may help or they may not be able to offer much assistance depending on how things transpire. That brings it back to us.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
There is no hesitation, I've spent many hours talking about this very subject with law enforcement on several occasions in a bunch of jurisdictions over quite a few years. Neil has likely spent even more time than me at it in Ft. Lauderdale. It sounds good, logical and easy just like not having this idiotic problem in the first place. The reality is, it often isn't that simple for varying reasons. That doesn't mean we won't keep trying for assistance from law enforcement, because we still are. Just spoke to two officers about this subject in another jurisdiction last week for a couple of hours. They may help or they may not be able to offer much assistance depending on how things transpire. That brings it back to us.
Sounds good, I hope something comes out of these efforts.

Unfortunately it seems like there will always be these "renegades" who make it necessary for others to deal with their idiotic problem. Which is another reason I support turning it over to someone who is paid to handle it.

Good luck getting this sorted over there on the FL East Coast. It's really a shame to see how bad it has gotten. It's too bad that such a prime riding area has become such a "proving ground" for these issues and how to resolve them - but people should be aware that this sort of thing/stupid behaviour can/and does happen everywhere.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas

Last edited by robertovillate; 03-28-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Some have been posing this as a vendetta against "kids." Nothing could be further from the truth. Also, once you are into your 20's, you are kind of stuck leaving the kid label behind.

None of us have anything against kids or anyone else (up to and including grandparents either), having fun. We just want to fun to continue without bans and harsh restrictions. You know, people telling you what to do. Make the right choices, they won't bother. It's easy to avoid bans and hassles, stay out of guarded areas, go as extreme as you want without threatening others, ideally well offshore, avoid complaints ... and you're there.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 AM

Default How clear are the rules, really?

This discussion assumes that the kiters that caused the issue knew the rules and purposely broke them. That may be true in this case, but how clear are the rules really? There was quite a bit of discussion recently on this site about kiting inside the buoys near Tampa, and most of that was between experts. So how is a beginner or visitor supposed to figure it out?

I don't know about Ft Lauderdale, but at my kitespots in Cocoa there are signs with rules for parking, boating, fishing, and warnings for swimmers but nothing about kiting. It would be nice if we could come up with a standard sign with a couple of (reasonable) rules and get someone to make them, and then, with approval from local authorities and help from local clubs/schools put them up at popular spots. Having the rules posted will make it a lot easier to confront people that break the them and will also show the authorities that we are reasonable and willing to work with them.

Nick
Old 03-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

We've tried to put signs up in many jurisdictions over almost ten years. More often than not, they are not allowed. In a few cases they have been. Putting signs up sounds simple but the reality is complex for kiteboarding signs in the public sector.

There have been signs up in Matheson Hammock for years, how many people pay attention to them? What has been missing , until recently, is enough people trying to enforce what is on the signs. Understand things are improving in that regard.

The responsibility is ours to pass the word out, like it or not. Riders should always ask about and be aware of rules, guidelines where they kite. Help promote them. Talk to locals, shops or schools, ask on here. If we don't know, we'll sure try to find out.

Good rules of thumb, ask informed locals, stay out of guarded areas, buoyed/marked swim areas unless there is a designated launch. If there is a designated launch, learn what the guidelines are before you rig up. Stay away from crowds, don't ride among bathers, don't walk with your lines upwind of nearby bystanders. Common sense stuff.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Some have been posing this as a vendetta against "kids." Nothing could be further from the truth. Also, once you are into your 20's, you are kind of stuck leaving the kid label behind.
?...I didn't pick anything like that up.
Personally, I don't care if it's a 10 year old or a 60 year old. They need to be busted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heemskn View Post
This discussion assumes that the kiters that caused the issue knew the rules and purposely broke them. That may be true in this case, but how clear are the rules really? There was quite a bit of discussion recently on this site about kiting inside the buoys near Tampa, and most of that was between experts. So how is a beginner or visitor supposed to figure it out?
Nick
There may be a few spots where unique rules apply. Anyone with common sense would stop to check, ask local kiters, ask the guards if there was ANY question. If someone says they did not understand the rules this is in most cases pleading total ignorance (and that's not a valid defense) or else they are "playing stupid" - which I see all the time. Either approach is unacceptable.

Most new riders have been thru lesssons. I spend at least 30 minutes going over thses issues in classroom, and then these principles are carried thru onto the water. I know for a fact that a lot of instructors do not cover this subject appropriately - often times because they are conducting their lessons in conditiiions where they would appear to be hypocritical. So some duty lies with the instructors...but in the end it is up to the individual to use good judgement in all circumstances.

I believe that it would be conservative to say that most of the people violating the rules much of the time are a handful of the experts. Newbies do it too but mostly because of lack of ability or unfamiliarity with a spot and special rules that might be posted. Again, neither is acceptable, but the experienced riders know better and should be leading by example and not corrupt the sport.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 AM

I have been at kiting for years but I have limited amounts of time due to work, family etc so my learning curve has suffered. Until last year this sport was available to me only when I visited my condo in Pompano the Atlantis building. For years I have never had a problem with setting up, launching and I would purposely drag out past the buoys which for me is pretty far but I do it to try and follow the rules. Now lately withing a year I have noticed that you can't even come ashore without being hassled by a guard from a tower 1/4 mile away. I have also noticed these guard towers have been coming from 16th and are now at almost all the public access spots, sure hope they don't make it down by me. I was down back around thanks giving I think there were only a couple of days with decent wind and did notice a small group come in tight to the shore close enough to where people had to duck as they changed directions. I myself thought it was cool but have noticed that people are getting scared of this stuff which is extremely bad! Now I can say I just got back from Pompano yesterday I was there from the 18th to the 1st and I had a great time. We had a few good wind days that lasted all day it allowed me to wait till a good amount of people left the beach before I came out. This time around I did not see any kiters bouncing off the shore line. Now I have a friend that knows I drop in from time to time and he may come in to talk to me or tell me hello but he quickly heads back out and never pops any tricks. I hope we don't lose access it would be a shame because one of the only reasons I come down is to kite, other than Piranha Pat's.

Polo..
Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

You can thank kiters riding too close to shore for the following:

Kiting is permitted in only two places within 100 yards of shore in the City of Pompano. Both are launching corridors and not for routine riding inside the buoys. We are very fortunate to still have those two spots. NE 13 and 16th Streets. Rules are posted on signs there.

I understand we had a guy grandstanding close to shore recently at NE 16th St., a sponsored team rider too. He may not have known better (uh right), but thanks to Brian of ASM, he sure does now to stay out of the swim zone. Way to go Brian and to everyone else working to keep things flying at your local launches.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-30-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Not trying to sound like a a-hole but from following this thread beginner or not it seems when you are riding close to shore and lifeguards are blowing their whistles to wave you away, or authorities on ATV's are trying to get your attention there doesn't have to be anything posted to know to respect authority, IMO, thats a respect/common sense issue. Most beginners at the sound of a whistle and waving life guards might actually come to shore to talk to the lifeguard who could probably explain the rules.

The deal in Tampa is about riding inside buoys that say "No combustion engines" vs a designated swim zone area and deals with a race with 80 people riding through the beach during spring/spring break crowds.

That issue also goes back to common sense, i.e. not riding close to shore with swimmers.

Anyway, I hope this issue gets worked out down there!

Danny
Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
So how is a beginner or visitor supposed to figure it out?
I have visited Florida and other locations many times, every responsible kiter knows to check the local rules at any local spot. I can not think of a kiter I know that would not check the local rules before riding a spot. I knew months and months before I came to Fort Lauderdale not to ride in the swim buoys. I knew from common sense not to cut so close to swimmers that they get sprayed with the water off my board! Yet, on all my trips to Fort Lauderdale area I see locals doing both of these obvious things. Very few can claim ignorance on this issue in my opinion.

Actually, now that I think about it Fort Lauderdale is/was the worst spot in terms of kiters being respectful to the general public of any location I have ever kited out. When I was recently in the keys everyone seemed pretty respectful of the bystanders

Here is the lists of places I have ridden off the top of my head, all spots were good except Fort Lauderdale...I will say that at Leo Carillo in CA, the lifeguards I talked to said some people were pretty bad, but not while I was there

FL
Curry Hammock State Park
Fort Lauderdale Area

HI
Kailua Bay
Various local spots around Kauai

CA
Leo Carillo / Nicholas Canyon

NE
Lake McConaughy

OK
Foss Lake