FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > Safer and Sustainable Kiting > SAFETY, WEATHER & LAUNCH SELECTION, SUSTAINABLE KITEBOARDING, FAQ'S
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Default This worked for me ... Preserving Access On The Beach

Please tell us the things that you have tried that worked in persuading guys to kiteboard in a sustainable fashion i.e. in a way not to cause us to be shut out! If you tried something that didn't work feel free to tell us about that as well. Maintaining access is a group project, welcome aboard cause you're likely already involved, ready or not!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Administrator

A few ideas were posted on kiteforum.com at:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewt...asc&highlight=

including:

Thanks Toby for passing the story along. This is too often repeated all over.

What would you do if you see some guys about to drag race through a crowded playground area? That is if you had the ability to alter things.

Kiters and swim zones are not unlike that. That is at least to those of us that can see an obvious threat. MANY bans that I have heard about included repeated complaints about riders going in and out of swimmer zones. Just get the hell offshore and shred hard there! You would think these guys are terrified of the water or something, hugging the shore like that. Is it more fear than the desire to show off or what?

Take a stand to support YOUR access or be ready to kiss it goodbye, a launch at a time.

Get more of your local kite bros onboard with these access preserving concepts. That way you won't be the Lone Ranger in trying to tackle the odd indifferent rider or clueless wacko. This is easy and obvious as are the consequences of inaction.

and at

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2306084

Including:

There is a new system being put together for riding at Crandon Park in Miami. That is the one site in Florida (and the only one I know of with these sort of restrictions to date), that you indicated I think. This approach might be considered a last resort for contested launches that either have or soon will be banned for which no other viable option appears to be available. These sort of contested launches appear to be related to areas with substantial user pressure, e.g. lots of bathers in more populated areas. It is planned to try to perfect the system in Crandon and then export the model to other similar contested launches where something like this might be wanted by local riders. That is in lieu of a permanent ban.

PASA is to form a council for each launch or geographic area. The council will be formed of local PASA instructors, kiteboarding association members for oversight of things. The designated launch is to be administered by local kiteboarding schools. Riders are to have minimum kiteboarding certifications demonstrating they ability to be able to ride upwind and self-rescue given constraints imposed by the Park and other users. To access the Park you need to show a PASA Level II certification card and an access sticker for Crandon Park. If riders don't follow the rules they are subject to suspension. We have tried voluntary compliance for years. That approach wasn't always that successful unfortunately. In this case guys are being paid to be there and as a part of thier duties to also enforce access requirements for this one launch. They are to be backed up by Park Authorities in this as well.

Crandon has already had two bans and this sort of program has been dictated by not only rider behavior but also by the Park management. Riding responsibly, free and at will is a far better than having to impose all these restrictions on riding. Avoiding causing complaints and problems in the first place is key (HINT). That way you can focus on riding and not have to deal with all this stuff which is a pain to say the least. Ride like responsible adults and skip all this stuff, easy.

and

kailuakiter wrote:
Thanks for your responses, they were a lot of help. Like florida, our problems stem from being an overcrowded beach with too many sunbathers and houses near shore. The main complaints against us are violations of the swim area and endangering beach users by doing tricks too close to shore. Also people resent the space on the beach taken up by our kites.
I think our major problem attempting to implement a permit system would be to get legal support from our local government. Anyone in America have any suggestions with that?

Are there lifeguards at the beach? If so, I imagine that some kiteboard. Perhaps they can assist in brainstorming and working out a viable means of approaching the public administration. If not, who has juridiction over the beach and nearshore waters, the police, marine patrol and coast guard? If this is the case, the process becomes more complicated. Still, in Florida and other areas, they are members of the enforcement agencies that kiteboard and may be willing to help to try to secure access.

A more direct approach that might work would be to apply for a concession permit. I seem to recall this issue has been raging over on Maui. In this case, it might actually work to your advantage. The governing body may or should have a permit filing procedure for an occupational permit for operations on public lands. Depending on the terms of the permit, which you would need to learn about before approaching this agencies directly, may dictate whether this is a good approach for you or not. I would solicit help from kiteboarders that also happen to be attorneys or are in public govenment to assist in evaluating and implementing this approach IF it appears to be a good approach in your case.

It is in the interest of government to signup all businesses for these sorts of permits. I am not advocating using this to exclude businesses but to promote as legitimate instructors/schools to obtain permits. Depending on your research you may find that the police or even lifeguards (they have some police powers in Hawaii I think), might aid in the enforcement of the permit. The permit holders would be responsible for operating a concession for kiteboarding. That is instruction and also controlling access, IF the public sector goes along with this. Government is likely to require insurance on the part of the concessionaire. To date PASA is the only kiteboarding group to offer such insurance for schools. They MAY have a similar insurance product for such riding concessions as well in the near future, fingers crossed on that one.

This is similar to what is being done at Crandon Park. However every jurisdiction is different and needs to be judged on individual merits.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks for getting in touch. I regret hearing about the new restrictions. Is this spot on the ICW just to the west of the cruise port?

I am glad that you are making inquiries. Have you gotten in touch with Lathium or Greg about this? I copied this email to them.

I would continue to try to find out the basis for the new ban as tactfully as you can. So often these problems seem to be born of mistaken perception and perhaps negative impressions caused by the few. Mentioning that Senator Kerry, possibly the next USA president is committed to the sport may help to build some credibility for kiteboarding. Your public service plans sound like good ones. Martin Kirk has done this sort of thing for years out on Maui to good effect. Some other ideas for public efforts that you might do appear in the article "Staying Alive" at: http://www.aka.kite.org/KiteBoarding.shtml

Under: "Interacting With the Community"

One thing that I was thinking of doing in PBC years ago, was a Charity Kite-a-thon Downwinder. It would be a coastwise downwinder with riders taking pledges for donations for miles completed. The overall distance wouldn't be horrific or out of reach. I was planning on trying to secure corporate pledges with employee matching to beef of the pot. There would have to be a safety plan, chase boats and rider briefing. Before I would have insisted upon AKA rider insurance but sadly that no longer exists. Absent insurance, the logistics might be a bit daunting today but it is still a highly visible, public event with an excellent charity cause of your choosing. I even thought of having buoys or shore marks at which a brief expression session would kicked in with judging. There would be a wrap party with prizes (certificates donnated by restaurants or shops, etc.). At the time, 2001 or 2002, the image of 30 to 50 riders moving en masse down the coast of a heavily populated area struck me as an excellent photo op. for choppers, boats and a positive showcase for the sport.

Please let me know what you find out.

Rick

>
>Rick;
>Hey I'm from the Cocoa Beach area! Be advised the Port Canaveral Authority posted the little known Kiting spot called locally as Little Hatteras with No Trespassing signs! This area is located just off the SR 528 interchange loop to the cruise ship terminals in the Banana River! In phone calls to the Port Authority no one there seems to know aything about it, but yet they posted the signs with their name on it! I have started a discussion with a local state Representative to try and resolved this matter equitably hopefully.
>This spot just happens to be one of my better videoing areas of our locals like Lathium, Greg, Michele and others!
>In an effort to better promote the image of Kitesurfers of Brevard County, I and several others are trying to organize a Brevard Kitesurfers Blood Drive, of course with PR in local news and TV!
>Drop me a line and any advice or comments!
>May the Winds Blow in Your Favor

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-31-2007, 02:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Given the upcoming Kiteboarder Magazine podcast on kiteboarding access, I wanted to bring a few posts back up to the top.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi