FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Question If you could live anywhere in SE Florida...

Hi all,

I am a novice kiteboarder with a lot of time on my hands.

If you could move anywhere in SE Florida, and your main purpose was a good place to kiteboard with easy access, would you move to the keys, Miami, or somewhere else?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:26 PM
ruffridah89

Miami.
Its right in between The Keys and The Palm Beaches.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Does Miami have some good places for a beginner to stay out of trouble? I don't want to get in anyone's way when starting out.

I read about a launch closing in another thread. Are there enough places so there will still be plenty available if some shut down?

I am leaning towards the upper keys, but if there is a definitive reason to go to Miami instead, I would consider it.

I know there are only a few launch spots in the keys (for beginners), but there are limitless flats without a lot of traffic, which I thought might be better.

It also looks like there are more side shore winds in the keys than Miami, is this correct?

I want to go wherever I can get the most time in, with the shortest distance from home to launch
Old 05-23-2007, 06:59 AM
ruffridah89

To be honest with you, the keys have wide, open space for you. Just be careful about the channel marks, because thats deep water.
Im not that familiar with the upper keys, maybe Islamorada?
In miami, the only place you can kitesurf is in matheson hammocks, but that place gets crowded when its windy. After you have some decent experience, you can move on up to the big leagues at Crandon Beach in Key biscayne.
For a beginner like you, you should consider your options carefully and see which one suits you.
-Danny
Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Current indications aside, you should expect a lull in useable winds in the near future. Of course I can't remember this much wind in late May in the last 9 years of kiting. Still, it usually ends with odd periods of stronger thermal winds and useable tropical system winds, until late September or October when stronger cold fronts make it down here again. I understand thermals can persist in NE Florida into the summer at times.

IF you were asking this question in August, I would advise the Keys as there is more frequent useable wind there on average than the rest of Florida and no waves. Once you get past the wave issue which can be fairly rapid you might want to consider setting up in Palm Beach County perhaps even Jupiter. Although there may be less wind on average than the Keys it still goes off there frequently throughout wind season and the waves can be very good. You can do a road trip north to catch wind or waves, west to grab some frontal winds on the west coast or even tool south into the Keys. Some experienced kiters prefer flat to waves in which case go for the Keys or arrange for a boat and hit the Miami Flats.

No, there really isn't an abundance of new kiter launches in Miami with a lack of people or history of issues. The Miami Flats are wide open however and ideal you just need a boat to get out there.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the info.

Rick, this question pretty much is for August and later when the winds pick back up, that is when I will be moving down.

After a look around Miami the past couple of days, I will probably settle on the keys.

Cheers
Old 06-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Thanks for the info.

Rick, this question pretty much is for August and later when the winds pick back up, that is when I will be moving down.

After a look around Miami the past couple of days, I will probably settle on the keys.

Cheers
The wind might wait until September or even October in a normal year. Then again these aren't normal weather times by indications. Strictly from the standpoint of wind and water activities, the Keys have a lot to offer. The pace and way of life are different down there (largely quiet). Some folks work hard to stay there while others are happy only with the odd visit and start to climb the walls after a time. We're in off season now so you should get an insight into how things are there when it is particularly quiet. Happy hunting!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 PM

Unfortunately September or October will be fine for me

I am getting shoulder surgery this week for an SLAP tear that will knock me out of commission for 3-5 months.

The tear isn't that bad, but I decided to take care of it during the off season.

When the wind & shoulder both get on the same page I'll be out every day possible in the Keys and Miami

Regarding the Keys, I have lived down there for years in the past and can't wait to get back.

I am one of those who never climbs the walls: flat days = fish/swim, windy = kiting