FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Lessons From The Hard Side
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default House Collision In Failed Jump Attempt

Lots of us have already seen a video clip (see link below) of this accident online. I understand some of this footage is to appear on a tabloid TV program tonight. I saw the video online last night for the first time myself, really glad you're still with us Dimitri. Earlier this year I had heard a rumor about the accident and asked Dimitri about what happened. What follows are interview comments from Dimitri that I received some months back about this accident. I decided to shelve them pending the day when and if the video came out.

Earlier this year Dimitri Maramenides was kiteboarding for a photo shoot. He was riding an Eclipse 10 m Thruster in gusty 18 to 35 mph winds. After the shoot had been completed he improvised some moves. One including jumping over a house out in the water. He had to clear the support A-frames of the house extending about 30 ft. off the water. So, his jumps were up to around 40 ft. high and about 120 ft. downwind. He completed six jumps. Then he attached a back-mounted "point of view" video camera provided by kiteflix.com. The camera, mounting arm and recording housing added a payload of about 20 pounds. He jumped two more times successfully but the substantial extra weight was throwing off his timing in the jumps. On the last attempted jump, things went very wrong.

The house

He was charging the house building up speed and line tension to boost big to clear the house. Suddenly he felt the wind start to drop into a lull. He was too close to the house and going too fast to abort his jump. He knew he had to launch the jump or slam into the side of it but he also realized he wouldn't have enough power to clear the house. He boosted and started to hit a timber support above the roof , he positioned his board in front of him to take the impact and put his arms in front of his face. The board broke in two upon striking one of the diagonal timber supports with a tremendous bang! He rotated slamming in back first into the flat roof with the camera housing taking the next impact helping to protect his back.

He was then pulled across the roof by the kite and fell ten feet slamming into a wooden dock encompassing the house hitting his head on a wood hand rail. He couldn't feel anything at this point and just thought about his kids. His kite was streaming off downwind and about to drag him into the water. Everyone yelled to grab him in the background. They thought he was dead. His kite control bar was miraculously knocked activating his quick release depowering the kite. Otherwise he might have readily drowned if pulled into the water by the kite in his incapacitated state. He knew one of his ribs was broken and his ass was killing him. The impact bashed the crap out of him, literally. The guys wanted to have him airlifted out by helicopter but Dimitri wanted to fly out for his home in OBX that night and overruled the motion. He needed to see his kids at home the next day without fail, it was as simple as that. He managed to get up and go into the water to clean up. They got him into the boat for a feverish 20 minute ride to shore. He was shivering uncontrollably and likely in shock. On his return home his daughter asked him "why is your butt so big?" Wonder how he answered that?

He went to a doctor in OBX the next day who determined he fractured a rib and his pelvis. His butt was so big and swollen he couldn't put his pants on. Many months later his butt is still numb perhaps the outcome of bursitis caused by the severe impact.

The butt

Lessons learned in all of this?

Don't jump hard objects.

If this can happen to someone of Dimitri's exceptional skill level, it can happen to anyone. Lots of guys have been injured over the years by trying to clear boats, jetties, etc.. You never know when the wind will ease, gear break, you might screw up a jump or any of many other things might go wrong.

As an aside and largely unrelated to this accident, sometimes reports come in about guys jumping people. No one was being jumped this day. If you want to be charged with manslaughter someday and/or taken to the poor house for life in a lawsuit, go ahead and do it. Again, if Dimitri can screw up trying to clear an object (no one controls the wind), ANYONE can hit what they are trying to jump over.

Dimitri is an unusual guy, this is how he makes his living. Has done for over ten years. He will be the first to say don't do this sort of thing to others. The actions may not be the best choice all the time but he does push things. These collective acts, the successes, routine events and odd trips south are what have made him who he is. It has cost him broken bones at least five or six times over the years too. So, it isn't like he doesn't know the risks and hasn't already experienced the pain of unsuccessful attempts. Unlike the majority of pro riders, Dimitri has filled me in on details several times over many years on what went wrong to try to spare others the same bad experience. Thanks for that Dimitri but take it easier on yourself, ok? Also, any spectacular negative event can be used against the sport particularly if it gets out into the popular media as the video has. Access concerns exist in various parts of the world. It is good to consider what unexpected outcomes might bring against our freedom to ride.

The video appears at:

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-06-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM

yo D-
u da man- you've always been a big jumper...that was a gnarly house to jump, glad you're ok...

I tested that kite this sunday in some really good wind we had...man what a jumper!

I say thanks for going for it! I think it's good for the sport! Any "regular" kiter knows not to jump a house just like I know not to try a back flip on a motorcross bike!!! Take care of yourself man...we got kids to train!!!

Brad Lange
Seven Kiteboarding, Islamorada, Florida Keys
www.sevensports.com
305-853-KITE
Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 AM

WOW, That look like it hurts. Hope Dimitri had a full recovery. I guess the moral of the story is that you can not depend on mother nature. SHE can really kick your ASS (literally).
Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 AM

OMG.. Dimitri that was insane.. Nice footage and editing from George at Kiteflix. I am glad to see that Dimitri is OK and able to see his family again. You definitely had a whole lot of junk in your trunk for a while. I hope to see you on the water soon.

This look says it all.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes it does, nice image crop Chris. I wanted to capture the full image but didn't quite figure out how to do it. Well done. Is that Dave? You're now even more famous than before !

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-04-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM

Good job Chris now I can use this pic for my profile pic on FB if you think thats funny you should have seen the look on Dimitris face
Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 PM

Rick,
I use Techsmith Snagit. Awsome program.

Dave, I had the same look you did when I watched the video.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks Chris! I don't think they have a Mac version yet but your suggestion prompted me to find an easy way that works, CMD-CONTL-SHFT-3 and it dumps it to the clipboard. It works even if the image is displayed full screen and is running unlike "Grab" which is what I normally use.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 PM

Chris, I use SnagIT alot, its awesome, just like that video!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:41 AM

Ouch... I sent that video to some rock jetty jumpin' buddies.

Looked like lotsa fun, till the impact... Glad D is alright!

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."