FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-02-2008, 07:25 AM

I'm out. I've had a few loaner kite offers, thanks for that but I am not comfortable using someone else's gear, especially in this kind of wind...have fun and be safe if you go out guys and gals!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Tom Stock

I can do a short session if it's early... need to be back a little after lunch time to do some work around the house.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
It's nuking dudes. At least 30. Not sure about the 12m kites at this point.

I just talked with Danny. He is at NB. He decided not to ride (alone) for safety reasons.... good call.

He said the trees were screaming for mercy and the sand was getting blown like (....) He also said he wasn't sure about TI with N winds.
Right now it is NNW. Google maps looks okay for that.

BigAirAl just called. He just got off a ship and had a bird's eye view.
He is saying NNE at the SW and NNW or N for the beaches.

Does anyone know for certain if TI isn't so hot on due N?

I thought it was. We will ride today, I just am trying to figure out the best spot and am factoring in new rider's abilities and safety concerns.

Inputs appreciated. Let's try to keep it close to TI (within 20 minute drive) so that Philthy and some others from Sorrysota don't drive for 2 hours.

Thanks. Have at it, going to Skyway Jack's to eat with Al.
so if not treasure island, wheres the place to be?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Tom Stock

Well, it's due north all day... T.I. is going to be side off shore and ultra gusty which means if you go down and get slammed in a 40mph gust and hurt you are going out to sea.

It's a tough call today... big wind, big shop and seriously strong currents. Backside is not too bad on a North, but you could still go down in the flats and get dragged into the channel and out to sea also (or at best, to the rocks and sharks 5 miles away). The launch is pretty dangerous there (surrounded by trees) so I am not going to recommend it on a day like today.

There is Indian Rocks where the beach faces slightly North but the current and chop is going to be seriously ripping and eventually you will end up down wind with side off conditions.

If you do a down winder along the beaches just hope to god to don't get into a situation where you can't relaunch because if you do you're screwed! Swim to your kite and try to use it as a sail to get back to shore.

Not sure where I am going to go yet...not even sure if I can hold down my 9 if it climbs to 40 today.

Ideas? Careful out there.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Tom Stock

I think we (Scott, Al, and me) are going to TI after all... not the best spot but I got a call that there was no water at backside so we are low on options.

May or may not ride when we get there... need to have a look and decide on the spot.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:18 AM

what time you guys meeting at TI?

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 AM

k, thanx for the response.

looks like I wont be making the drive from Orlando then. I think I'm going to head to Cocoa, and check to see if anyones riding the 520 slick.

If anyone from the Orlando area wants to hook up out there gimme a call. 253-334-1202

thanks guys,
Tyson
Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 AM

NL down in SARAsota is blowin NE (offshore) with tiny waves. Tide or the angle is killing these waves....i never seen the tide so low. Maybe i should have brought my 7m up north to TI...... ......hoping it switches to NW
Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Tom Stock

TI was not very fun slightly side off,cold, and very very gusty 10-30.

Doable but not too good. Heard a report later that backside is it's own continent... no water anywhere.

Good luck guys... I'm done for the day.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:17 PM

ya.. TI was a bit of a mess.. beach was nukin.. sand flying across the beach.. looked to be EPIC!... rigged 9m and hit the water.. and .. nothing.. was odd.. seemed there was tons more wind closer to ground than up in the air.. was able to keep upwind enough to have fun.. but was work.

after about 1 hour or less we had all put the kites down ..

backside was super low tide when we got there.. i saw while rigging that my 9m front bridle was tearing.. UGH.. so i thought that a 12m would be ok..

bad call. 12m was WAY too big. once out in the flats the wind came up about 5 more knots.. maybe more.. and i was not having fun of any sort.

made it safe to the beach and put up the 7m and had a good time.. rode for about another 30 to 45min and called it a day.. tired from yesterday.. lots of work from the earlier sessions..

no complaints tho..

cbs news interviewed me for a bit.. they kept asking "so how DANGEROUS is this sport???" "can you really be SAFE out there??" crap like that... i probably pissed them off when i said that we go to accuweather to get our forecast info.. ahhahaha...

6pm tonight..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa