FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Skyway Scott

Default Wind on Sunday

I'd like to hear what you guys had for wind today in different areas.
I tried a new spot for me today and would like to know how it compared to wind in other areas.
Terms like range, up at ...... down around.... (time) and if it was gusty or solid all day would be cool.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:51 PM

5 of us up at three rooker island south end 17 to 23 knots from 10:00 to 4:30 droped to 15 right at 4:00 for the last 1/2 hour. rode the 10m for a while and wanted a little more swithced to the 12m SB3 the rest of the day. Beautiful day!! How was it where you were?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Tom Stock

Not as good, maybe 15-18mph. We were on 9m's having an ok time, but it was gusty... sounds like it was better up there (no surprise).
Old 01-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Skyway Scott

Thanks for that info.
There has never been any doubt in my mind that it is windier north of about Madeira on due North winds. Some days (this really was true 3 seasons ago) it would blow solid 20 all day up at Sand Key and not even really blow south of Madeira.

I don't care too much about chasing "more" wind these days as much as I am interested in solid, stable wind.
If it's solid 15 or more, I am good to go. Any more is nice, but not necessary.
Sure it's fun to boost huge in the gusts and all, but doing my 3 unhooked tricks in that stuff is a nightmare if gusty (for me, anyway).

It was gusty where I was, imo, and I resorted to riding hooked in. Still fun and great out.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM

Whitey was the only one that said where he rode today. What about you guys, Scott and Tom?

I had the backside of east beach pretty much all to myself. When I got there around noon or so Steve Sadler was there, Abomb and a few others. Abomb and I were able to ride our 15's for a while, real light though...

As soon as we put them down it cranked back up to about 18-23. Chad, Daniel, and a few others showed up, but no more than 6 or 7 people all day.

I switched to my 12 and was lit. A little later in the day it backed off just enough to put the 15 Rev back in the air, I cruised over to the Skyway to say hi to Randy, cruised back to east beach and rode till about 5.

I'm interested to hear where everyone else rode. The wind kept changing directions from NNE to what seems to be NNW and straight N at times.

wierd
Old 01-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Skyway Scott

I rode at someone else's semi-secret location. If he hops on and announces it, that's cool.
I just assume not, though.
It's out in the middle of nowhere, very limited access.
The surroundings were gorgeous, the wind was adequate, the launch left much to be desired.

It sounds like the wind was about the same where I was compared to BS EB.
It was changing directions a lot, until it turned NW at around 2:30 or 3 or so, then it stayed out of that direction and was more stable.
I doubt I will be going back there, mainly because of the drive and the launch. BS SW is literally 3 minutes from my house... so.