FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 PM

Saw 4 kites at Cypress on the way home from work. What a distraction while driving - good thing no one was throwing kiteloops by the road as that would surely cause some accidents. Coming accross Howard Frankland it looked like the wind was real gusty - how was it?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 AM

very very gusty...

i do like riding at cypress.. i have not been out there this entire season..

got there and saw 3 kites in air.. wind was all over the place.. rode my 13.. very glad i did.

wind was from 15 to 20 maybe more.. pretty big gaps in between... def would not have been as happy on my 9m.

rode from 3 til about 5.. noticed some very disturbing clouds rolling in and packed up.

couple guys there were just starting out (not good conditions to learn in at all.. but there looked like they were keeping it safe and staying down in the main pool area).. i mentioned the clouds to them and i saw they set their kites down. not sure if a storm rolled thru there or not.. safe thing to do tho.... no fun being caught out in that shit.. and worse if you are inexperienced..

i kited over to the clearwater causeway... mini-downwinder. fun times for sure.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 AM

Off subject a little... but...

I used to work in the office complex right in front of cypress park.

Is that place any good to ride? I could never ride there, cause my boss' window looked out over the water!!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 AM

it can be.. i'd definitely go there at super low tide and take a look at the conditions..

i remember seeing a number of rocks and stuff near the beach lines between the two marker poles... i stay away from that area and ride in the main pool at the southern end or at the upper tip..

its been over a year since i rode there, so i dont know if the beach hazzards are still there.

what i do know is that there is a sandbar a couple hundred yards from the beach. a few years ago in some very gusty conditions i was out there on an 11m c kite and one of my feet came out of my pads.. i was trying to focus on getting it back in when i sent the kite too vertical and i got instantly lifted about 10 to 15 feet and came crashing down..

normally i would have taken a big plunge in the water and been ok..

well.. as my luck would have it.. i came down right on the sandbar in about 8 inches of water..i landed mostly on my feet and butt and got a super jolt from the impact. it really scared the hell out of me and hurt as much as not breaking something can.

i've never had that happen w/ a bow kite..

.... anyways.. back to the topic.. i'd suggest going out there a very low tide and surveying the scene..

Old 02-27-2008, 06:39 AM

Thanks Bryan. I normally ride on the barrier islands anyways... The water is so nice and clean!

Why I'd consider riding in the bay... I don't know. But you never know!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:12 AM

Default Cypress

I may try and ride at Cypress later this afternoon. I have never ridden there before. My office is next to the grand hyatt. Let me know if anyone is heading out there.

Tony
Old 02-27-2008, 07:34 AM

Just be careful at Cypress today. Yesterday was super gusty and the wind was coming from SW, a little more cleaner wind. Today is coming from NW and all those building at Post Rocky Point are going to create some gusty conditions in that area. Also in case you don’t know avoid the oyster beds at the pool. See the link for more details.

http://www.epickitesurfing.com/tamaplaunch.html
Old 02-27-2008, 07:53 AM

NW is one of the better directions for Cypress, north is gusty but NW is OK, Yes please watch out for the oyster bed, I donated some skin yesterday.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 AM

can anyone confirm if there are some large (football sized or larger) rocks just a bit off the main beach / embankment area .. i remember seeing those a couple years ago.. not sure if they are still exposed..

just to be safe.. stay away from the main area in front of the beach around and between the two markers.. would hate to hear of anyone crashing down and smacking their foot (or worse) on something like that.

i do know that the northern area is some smooooth riding..

Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitespear813 View Post
NW is one of the better directions for Cypress, north is gusty but NW is OK, Yes please watch out for the oyster bed, I donated some skin yesterday.
NW one of the better directions??? I have to debate that, please see the picture. The buidlings at Post Rocky Point create a wind shadow, I have experience that a bunch of times, mainly in strong winds like today.