FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson View Post
In my opinion, the winds were too high for me to safely attempt a self-landing of a Thruster
Sounds like you were riding suicide leash? I can't remember if that bar had oh-shit handles or not... but releasing to one of those is what I generally do if I need to land in high wind.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM

No, the other attachment point is on the center of the bar on one of the center lines. It loops through the mickey mouse ears so this may be a form of the same thing. I'll try it out next session in lighter winds to see what happens but the attachment point is so high and my leash is always in the way so yes, I just ride suicide.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Skyway Scott

To each his own, but I would never ask a non-kiter to land my kite in 30 knots. We couldn't talk (hear) one another from 20 feet away that day at TI. No way to communicate with the guy if the process went just a tad wrong.
Also, they can't understand what not to do, by being given some brief instruction on what to do.
Might sound odd, but trust me on that. I've seen people do what they were told, and then "improvise".

Some of the worst kitemares I have witnessed have been associated with inexperienced people "landing" (more like hot launching) a kiter in high winds. Even Billy almost got whacked that way once. That was the most mad I have ever seen Billy was on that bad landing (turned into a hot-launch) in about 40.
(Probably because for one brief moment, he was at another's mercy, not in completely in control himself)
Old 04-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson View Post
It is the people who don't make things clear to their assistants that have the issues. I am confident that I could teach an ape to catch my kite if I had to. If that is one of your personal limitations, sobeit .

What are you saying??
Sobeit sometimes my english isn't perfect, and I don't use words like sobeit (I don't even know what sobeit means) I was being sincer but I think you are trying to insult me. Well, trhats ok Toby, you just keep having bystanders and apes land your kite in conditions thats questinable, i'll keep struggling with my english ,sobeit a personal limitation, and hopefully all will be OK. Hope you have fun when you come to Coche one day. Spanish may be sobeit difficult for U. Oh, Coche is in Venezuela, if you like I can teach you where its on a map.

Sobeit
Jaime
Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 PM

Grow up man...lose the paranoia. I'm not even sure who the hell you are or that I have ever ridden the same launch as you. I have no problem with you or what you wrote, it seemed like a sincere enough approach to me and my reply was sincere as a result. I just do things different than you do, that's all. Different strokes for different folks.

The word sobeit is an English slang term used to say basically "then that is fine with me" or "I guess that is just how it is". Hardly a knock at your use of the English language, I don't even know you, how should I know you are Venezuelan or speak broken english???

The majority of my best friends are of foreign birth and have accents, why would I poke fun at something you cannot control (where you are born)? I commend you for learning a second language. I was more so saying you can have that limitation (not comfortable explaining how to catch a kite to someone and be confident that they will correctly catch it) if it is what you are comfortable with and I will have my own personal limitations (not self-landing in 40 knot winds). That is nothing to get abrasive or dramatic over, you are the only one who has criticized or pointed fingers at anyone in this thread.

Last edited by toby wilson; 04-18-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:38 AM
invisible

Oh thats right I remember now... that bar isn't a spinner bar and the leash is in your face.

That bar design is from 2003-2004. No 0-shit handles, not a spinner bar, a cleat for a stopper, a true suicide leash (called that for a reason) etc.

If you can pick up an 07 waroo bar for that kite you won't regret it. I think it's the best bar out right now... even Scott, noted best BASHER, who doesn't own a single best kite or board, uses an 07 waroo bar. That says a lot, trust me!

LOL

The best bar fully depowers the kite (releases the stopper) when you use the suicide leash safety.

There are two other attachment points also (o-shit handles).

You can release the stopper by just pushing the bar out with one hand (prevents getting lofted)...

TWO CL ropes instead of one

It's a spinner bar... you can spin it all day long in one direction if you want to.

The stopper doesn't chew away at the CL rope like a cleat...so it's not gonna wear and break letting you fall 40 feet into a foot of water and break your back ... (Scott did this a few times with the old slingshit bars).

Oh, and you can self land to one of the o-shit handles no problem. Done it myself several times now... it spins for awhile but it beats a surprise hot launch.

Bayflite can get you one at a really good price... you guys might even be able to work out a product swap
Old 04-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
If you can pick up an 07 waroo bar for that kite you won't regret it. I think it's the best bar out right now... even Scott, noted best BASHER, who doesn't own a single best kite or board, uses an 07 waroo bar. That says a lot, trust me! LOL
Just to be clear here, I definitely was vocal about BEST's claims of riding POWERED in 6 knots. I still have a 300 dollar "if you ride upwind in 5 knots" bet going.

But I am not a Best "brand" basher. I was definitely a vocal basher of the Hellfish's lightwind claims and how BEST tied up the market for awhile with all their hype. Not a fan of Gumball's tactics (back then).
But, I haven't said a negative thing about Best in 2 years or more. Gumball seems to have shut up, etc.
I never had a problem with anything they actually put out to market, it was the unsubstantiated claims that pissed me off.

I just don't want anyone thinking I bash Best, because I happen to do the opposite. I just recommend two Waroos to my boss, as a matter of fact. I really shouldn't be on here (during work) but I had to address this.

Also, as soon as I rode a waroo (Eric got the first one) I supported it. I happen to own RRD, but that kite is NOT a beginner's kite. The Ozone helps to have C kite experience, as well.

I have and will bash unrealistic claims though (likeriding powered and jumping in 6 knots). I still can't believe some people thought that was (or ever will be) possible.

After having said that, the new waroo bar is awesome on 4 line hybrids, imo.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 AM

Unfortunately the Thruster rides with exact specifications so I would have to even modify that bar some. Plus, I just bought 3 kites complete and they all have different sized bars, I just don't want to get into dropping another $200-$300 on a new bar right now. If I change my mind I will talk to Bayflite, heck we are part of the same outfit but I really like the Eclipse bars and am very comfortable on them. Plus, the CL replacement is only like $20 for the whole setup!!! I'll try and see what is up with the bar when I use the mickey mouse ear depower method.

I just went out into my garage and looked at the bar. The bar has a metal ring that is attached to one of the center leaders, then a stopper ball and then the leader goes through the mickey mouse ears. Looking at it now, it is obvious that if I threw the bar, it would travel up to the next stopper which is about 1/3 way up the lines and would have "fully depowered" the kite.

People who try it love the Thruster but only on the Thruster bar if you read the reviews. The kite gets horrible reviews on waroo bars or other bars citing high bar pressure and back stalling as negatives. So I would have needed to add extensions at the bar if I had bought the waroo bar.

If it aint broke, why fix it?

Last edited by toby wilson; 04-19-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:34 PM
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
But I am not a Best "brand" basher.
Oh.. look at the big fish I caught just trolling along... gotcha!

But you have never desired to own a piece of best gear, except for that bar. So obviously it must be something special. lol.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Skyway Scott

Bastage....lol. The bar ROCKS!!

It's windy... tip toe .....