FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Local interest in Lassing Park Kitesurfers

Sorry to intrude, but I was hoping you all might share some thoughts on what makes Lassing Park a good place to kite surf. I'm writing an article on kite surfing for the Old Southeast Neighborhood (in which Lassing Park resides) newsletter and wanted some input on what makes LP a kite surfing destination (I presume its one of the few areas of easy access to westerlies in Pinellas). Also if anyone feels like describing how long they've been surfing, the cost of setting up, and any info on local instructors, I'd appreciate it and will credit you if I reference anything. Basically, a lot of neighbors have expressed interest and I thought I'd come to the source for information.
Thanks
Drew
Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 PM

Lassing Park is such a desired kiting location for a couple reasons. One is the shallow nature of the riding area and sandbar which offers flat water. That sandbar is also appealing because that rider can find large waves just on the outside of it. LP also offers an ideal area to setup and rig our gear. The grass is great for setting our kites on and there's room out there for a number of riders to lay their lines out without getting in each other's way. I guess it doesn't hurt either that my classes are a block away! It works on NE,E,SE wind directions.

Gear Prices? Depends, really. I'm sure you could get into the sport for $1500 if you searched around for a good deal on new gear. Opinions will vary a bit.

Instructors? WatersportsWest.com offers great instruction. TritonKiteboarding.com also does a lot of instructing in the area as well. Both have websites and are active members on this forum. Maybe they can chime in for ya....

Last edited by Sean B; 09-26-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
popeye

Actually, Easterlies. But, we would like to keep the number of riders there to a minimum because it's a small riding area right in the middle of everyone's back yard, so we do NOT want to draw attention. We like to keep the group small to prevent disturbing the home owners. I would actually prefer no article at all... but thats just my 2 cents. I love riding there that much. It's my favorite spot and I'm very protective.

Thanks for asking though But, I'm sure some newer riders will JUMP at the chance to be quoted in a magazine... any minute now...

If you do write the article please make it a point to mention that we try to respect the home owners and keep the number of riders and noise to a minimum.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
Thanks for asking though But, I'm sure some newer riders will JUMP at the chance to be quoted in a magazine... any minute now...
I think it's more of a leaflet than a magazine. lol I think, in terms of preservation, it would be beneficial to have a couple local homeowners on the "dark side." The residents who want to learn to kite are gonna learn regardless of the article. They see us out there all the time and are always inquiring about the sport. JMHO
Old 09-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Skyway Scott

This article is really localized, as Sean said and might actually help.
Here is a few guesses (for fun) about the future of our local scene.

The number of articles written this year will easily be 3 times the number of all articles written to date about our local kiting scene. Add to that the exposure in the kite mags, online, etc., and it's going to be a season of exceptionally high exposure for kiting locally.

I am also guessing the amount of out-of-towners visiting this season (by next season for sure) will equal or outnumber the number of local riders, during the months from December to March. They won't all arrive at once, but over the course of our season, their number will equal or be greater than ours. (150 or more)

Sean, anyone, got any other guesses?

Sometimes we guess the number of days it will blow 35 plus for 3 hours or more. That's always a good one
Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 AM

Scott, I think you might be right. I'm guessing:
1) LP more safety-conscious with local homeowners potentially riding their
2) The number of downwinders I do this year increases exponentially
3) None of us have any kitemares!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:53 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for answering. The newsletter is a monthly 6-8 page paper with stories of local interest and delivered to the residents of the old SE neighborhood which is located between 14th Ave S. and 25th Ave S. and east of 4th St. S.

I have yet to hear anyone from the neighborhood saying anything negative about kite surfers. I think they'd rather see you all than the prostitutes and vagrants camping in the mangroves.

And thanks for the correction on the wind direction. I may try to get some more info personally the next time I see some surfers at the park while walking my dogs.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Skyway Scott

Drew.

That's a pretty common mistake with wind and direction. Wind is described as where it comes from, not where it's going (unlike current, which is where it is going).

We are experiencing tremendous increase in our numbers at the moment. And, although we are a very friendly group, this sport is more space limited than most, so many of us get nervous at the thought of doubling or tripling our size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean B View Post
Scott, I think you might be right. I'm guessing:
1) LP more safety-conscious with local homeowners potentially riding their
2) The number of downwinders I do this year increases exponentially
3) None of us have any kitemares!
Number 2 has to be right, we had very few good NWr's last season.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 AM

my two bits.. and I agree completely with Tom (popeye) in regards to how I view Lassing. It really is in people's front yards and demands our respect more than any of our areas launches. I believe that most that ride there understand this.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM

Well said by everyone!

LP is one of my favorite spots when its not low tide.