FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 AM

Finally. Some discussion and a willingness to work together
I'm all about it. I will do whatever it takes to get our launches safe again.

I'm with you Steve and anyone else that wants to tackle this. The industry is to blame here and the industry must come up with the solutions.

The comment about WSW instructors teaching at the Skyway is valid and drove me nuts for years. You can't build Rome in a day. You know that.

With that said, my team this past season is in full compliance not to step foot at the Skyway. It doesn't change the past but it sets the tone for the future.

Randy, Mike, and yourself no longer work for us for various reasons. But the truth is my vision for our program is finally a reality. I couldn't be happier with my team of 5 with 5 wave runners ready to serve the community safely and efficiently. I would like nothing more to see schools in the bay area invest and follow this model.

Last edited by Steve-O; 05-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
I have taught at the South Skyway launch...a long way to the east of the parking area.
I can vouch for that!
The only time I ever saw Roberto teaching @ Skyway was on the southside
launch . Me and Lori were just finishing a 15 mile downwinder when we saw
him there with his student.
Southside is a place no one ever goes to kite.

My 2 cents, associations or organizations or having insurance will never do didly squat since all members in the associations, organizations or holding
insurance will always abide by the laws the Grand Poobah decrees.
But the rebels, outlaws and ignorant never will.
Well, Maybe the ignorant will, if you catch them in time before they launch.
That makes your system SV, pretty untenable.
Since it has to be at the point of launch, where these people will or will not
listen to you. I know quite a few people burned out from being the "cop".

Oh yeah, Back to what Dennis posted.........................
Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Here are some excerpts (re: Skyway launches) from the riding guide map I've been providing to all my customers and students for 6+ years for the Tampa area, which includes over 20 spots. If I find out that my customers are going there against my recommendations I try to have a word with them ASAP - unfortunately a few may not listen, but at some point people will make their own choices, good or bad:

(a general note about all spotsin addition to those shown below
PLEASE see notes for any special instructions for each spot. It remains your individual responsibility to evaluate wind conditions, currents, tides, and all other risk factors. It's best if you first ride these spots when another experienced local is around to point out hazards and difficulties. PLEASE DO NOT JEOPARDIZE OUR KITING PRIVILEGES AT ANY OF THESE SPOTS!!! Furthermore, if possible go to a less crowded riding spot...Spread out - SAFER, LESS STRESS, ETC
I have color coded the pins: blue-beginner; green -intermediate; red-advanced only.

Skyway North
I do not teach here because of limited space, downwind hazards and often very crowded conditions. There are a few instructors teaching at this spot in spite of these issues, but I hear about some disaster almost every day that big crowds show up there and I have rescued many people washed up on the rocks with kites blowing over the HIGHWAY!!!! Better to ride here once you know how to go upwind effortlessly. If you are a beginner you must walk your kite as far away from shore as possible before riding. Works in NE, E, SE

Backside Skyway
I have NEVER taught here and I NEVER WILL, and I NEVER have ridden here, although many people, butter junkies, think this is a premier flat water spot. CAUTION: There are many hidden hazards in the water and easy to get blown onshore, into fences, onto the highway, etc... because it's normally gusty here when people go. Works in N, NW, SW if you want to take the risks and join the Darwin Awards Club. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. I have heard about a lot of serious KITEMARES at this spot.... read this if you don't believe me: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5869 ... To make things worse there are a few local instructors teaching here setting a bad example and...monkey see, monkey do. Several seasoned riders have been seriously injured here. There are plenty of other safe spots to choose from in these wind directions. (OK- a confession: I finally stopped there for the first time in 4 years one day in March 09 as I was returning from Jupiter FL. There were only a few other kiters so I decided to check it out - well, as somewhat expected I witnessed a kiter who had no business being there causing a lot of problems for other kiters and he finally put his kite into the trees...it's a "kooky" place...TRUST ME.

South Skyway Parking Area
Accessed from the South Skyway Rest Area. You need to walk well away from shore to launch. Supervision for beginners a must, and assisted launches only suggested, until you know what is going on here. BOOTIES ARE A MUST! Lots of small hidden rocks, shells, hazards if you are not smart you will get hurt or damage kites. Lots of kites get shredded on the shells and mangroves here. Can be a great place to ride with combination of small wave chop and butter flat water. Works best in NE, N, NW, WNW. Tide phase should be noted, it can be either waist deep across the flats, or very shallow/dry.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 05-06-2012, 09:11 AM

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

Last edited by Kiteboarding Tampa Bay; 05-08-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Well, not surprisingly this thread has quickly evolved from an inquiry about a loose kite incident to the ever so difficult and ongoing debate about regulation and leadership. Maybe it's better to start a fresh thread about this (?).

At any rate I think the issue about leadership and credibility is paramount in any effort to form a well recieved body of regulations. It's a somewhat thankless job to get something meaningful and lasting done - but preferably the individuals involved as leaders are honest people with a solid history of good relationships with everyone. It would also be helpful if they are considered to possess a normal degree of civility and sanity. So in some way there should be a vetting process and a democratic way of putting a few individuals in charge of representing the group.

What you probably don't want is someone in a leadership role who has a history of attacking people for various personal reasons, promoting violence and harrassment, falsely accusing others for their own aggenda, publishing falsehoods and inflamatory messages under multiple aliases, has been banned from various forums over the years, and who basically says "We can treat each other with respect, or I can be a serious pain in your ass - that part is 100% up to you, as it's always been."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteboarding Tampa Bay View Post
If there is any instructor or business in this area who doesn't like me or talks trash, it's simply because I relayed the message what is asked of us and they chose to be a complete dick rather than just change their ways.
That is the source of every bit of shit ever talked about me right there, and each one of them know it.....

I am going to simply go back to posting my daily adventures on the beach and yes, busting balls whenever necessary. It will be fun and entertaining for the reader, and complete hell for the culprit. I am sure Roberto or Big R will give me an excellent reference...;-).....

I am quite certain that some mystery kiter out there will understand my point and say "that person is not worth the risk to access" and report them. Just by posting the problem and the phone numbers, these people's conciensce will get the best of them knowing that anyone in the community may report them. I will just sit back and laugh, that's my new role....
That an individual can say these things in the same breath seems odd to me to say the least...but considering the source it's no surprise. I've recieved several pages of BS from this source over the years and it's quite comical and disturbing at the same time. I won't bore people here with all of it but I'd be glad to copy anyone on those missives if they are interested. The most important point being - be careful who you put into a position of authority, representaion, or decision making for something you really care about.

It's all too easy to get caught in the whirlpool of BS generated by TBK so this is my final post on this thread. I hope the other rational people involved can get something done amongst themselves and perhaps a fresh thread or another way to organize can be sorted out.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 AM

Smile

Funny thing is - there was no accidents that day at SW, neither on water nor on the road.

All I can say to this is

Old 05-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Thanks for your most excellent contribution to the conversation Dennis. LOL! You always keep it light and remind us not to take things too seriously.

I am interested as to why not one instructor that teaches at the Skyway on a regular basis has not responded.....maybe they figure over time as with most things, the problem will just vanish with the wind.

Kites upwind.....highway downwind

It's easy to laugh this one off if you never been in the position of teaching beginners and watch all the silly mistakes they make even with instruction.

Kites upwind....highway downwind

The reality is....nothing will change at that spot. St. Pete riders will never come together and try and solve issues. It's easier to point fingers, make jokes, and just deal with it.

Kite upwind.....highway downwind

I am officially done with this particular thread as I think it is clear that it is just easier for everyone to accept current practices at the Skyway Bridge.

Thanks for everyone's input. It was helpful in understanding all sides, well except the sides of the instructors that teach there.

Moving on to my next project. Stay tuned!