FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Tom Stock

Regarding 08 waroos and bridles, yes they are smaller and less likely to catch the tip, BUT it is still possible. In my case I did a "slide kite down wind and launch like on water" self launch.. when it slid, the bridle caught the back of the tip. Newer kites loop with less power at first, but the power increases as the lines wrap and tighten up... making the situation worse as time progresses so it's important to escape immediately.

But, looping kites are part of the sport. It happens on all kites of all brands and types for various reasons and there isn't really a way to prevent it. Sad thing is it's rarely if ever mentioned in lessons. I've seen lots of beginners nearly get whacked by their looping kite... barely escaping with luck and then saying "not sure what happened or why, and had no idea what to do".
Old 04-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
If I swing under the kite and it starts to Hindenburg- I hit the release instantly.

Thats really not a good idea. Many times a hindenburg kite will recover completely once it hits the water. There is no reason to "give up" on the kite and set it loose unless it is your only option.

And yes, hesitation is the little killer , if that situation comes to it
Old 04-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Skyway Scott

IDK, if no one is downwind and Steve wants to, why not be hyper-vigilant as opposed to not?I think he is still leashed to the kite, if I understand it correctly. I have QRd or just let go of the bar a few times on "iffy" launches. Sometimes it's better to not even have a "process" begin, than attempt to get out of it. As long as he is not jeopardizing someone downwind, I can't see a problem with being cautious and cutting off an opportunity before it has a chance.

I have released my kite a few times almost instantly on a self launch and once on an assisted launch, when the kite seemed a little off. I don't spend too much time making sure something is wrong, cuz the fact is, once it's obvious and you try to correct, it's sometimes too late (if strut is wrapped).
If it doesn't seem right, I just bail almost instantly, without much thought. My reasoning is that I would rather not give it a chance to loop once.
I have learned from experience that once it loops (in 20 or more, especailly) during a launch, you are going to go on a pretty bad ride I prefer to not even give the kite a split second of opportunity. Sure, a couple times I looked a little foolish. Once was actually with the Ozone. It had a rear line tangled and I saw it immediately upon launch and just "gave up" instantly. The guy that launched it gave me some lip and ridiculed me. I remember thinking I don't care as much about his opinion as my health. Anyway, just saying, I too have played it hyper-vigilant a few times.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:26 PM

I can usually grab a line or two and put a little tension on them to "right the kite" before it Hindenburgs, but if not, I eject.
It works for me.
BTW- the kite is always leashed.
Do not use a kite leash without a quick release.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Tom Stock

A C kite half hindenburg hurts.. the kite powers up again 10 feet before it hits the water and just about breaks your back if it doesn't break a line too. I eject asap too, but I don't pull the QR, I just unhook as quick as possible.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 PM

In reference to this tragic accident I agree that kook proof safety leashes should be standard. It may be a riders choice to get a different leash after the fact of purchase ie...handlepass ect.

I open up my safety class with discussion of the safety leash and all that could go wrong with it's function if not used correctly.

Cabrinha has had a kook proof leash for 3 years now. It attaches to the spreader bar and can't be hooked up backwards. Hooking a leash to the back of your harness could present a problem when trying to get out of it as you are being pulled backwards through the water in the event of some failure.

Finally, I think and hope we will see a big advancement in safety this upcoming year in regards to leash attachment points and a kites ability to flag out. Some manufactures are stepping to the plate with below the bar leash attachments that flag kites. More improvements need to be made however even in that area.