FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Wind, Great Waves and More, NOW in Ecuador ...

This just in from Paul Menta of The Kitehouse in Ecuador.

Hola from Ecuador

Hello all, i know summer winds are here and it might get to be time soon for a wind fix. Please check us out here in ecuador. It offers something for everyone. Waves(big and small), great SUP , surf and of course downwinders to go exploring the coast. Plus there is a lot to do for people who don't kite as well. Here is the good part, its cheap and windy....can't beat that! Rooms are $20 a day with private bath in beautifull house, meals are $5 and 2 kiters can come for the price of one, we call it "Going Tribal" and its good for beginners, intermediates or advanced riders.

I have been on my 7 m Cabrinha Nomad and most have been on 9 meters. So when you shopping for wind remember its here and you get all the quality for 1/2 of anyone else's prices.

--
Paul Menta- "Situations can be perfect
people can not be
accept that
the journey begins"

http://www.thekitehouse.com/

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I just checked and you can fly round trip from Miami to Guayaquil, Ecuador (GYE) currently via Avianca for $329. ! You can see where The Kitehouse operation is on the map below along the center part of the Pacific coast at Manta:

another interactive map at: http://tinyurl.com/nrfww9

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Just in: Win a free trip to Ecuador...yes free

http://www.sbckiteboard.com/win?news_id=939&uniqid=958

Just some follow up answers on questions i got:

NO you do not need a visa, that is brasil only

flights are about 3:20 min from miami to quito or gye

the dollar is the curency used there

There is storage and transport to all spots included and its safe to walk around by yourself....lol

Season for the whales just started now, so you will see them.

Hope to see ya all

aloha

Last edited by The Kite House; 06-26-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 PM

I've been down here for a week and it's been, awesome! Riding my 8 each day and getting eaten up by some nice sized waves. The town has been fun and the food is amazing.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Coming from Keys, what things stick out in your mind the most about the place?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-19-2009, 09:26 AM

I'm actually from Manta and I am currently living in South Florida. Santa Marianita is about 10-15 minute drive from Manta. You could actually drive your car into the beach. There are a few restaurants there with awesome and inexpensive food and drinks. Is true that there is plenty of winds. Last year I kited 15 out 17 days with a 9 and a 12m from 11:00am till about 5:30pm. The kiters there are awesome and friendly.

In Manta there is always something happening. You could see crowds daily but the increase in activities begins on Thursday nights. Plenty of Bars and clubs for entertainment. My favorite bar before hitting a club is Krugs, make sure you try the "Salchichas Cerverzero" which is spicy italian sausage with a side of potatoes and their special sauce. Yummy along with some Pilsener Beer.

A friend of mine is opening up a club in a couple of weeks called PRAIA.. I believe it will be around the Howard Johnson Hotel. Should be a blast. Go check it out if you are there.

My method of travel is actually through Quito. If you can afford it stay the night and catch the early 7-8am flight to Manta which is about a 30-40minute flight. Do your check in and you should begin kiting around 11:00am or so. I already have my tickets purchased for 31 July and looking forward to it. Happy Winds.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:43 PM

The likenesses from the keys is that it's warm and windy. The differences are that you have waves and a really big beach. The wind is clean and steady and as the day goes on, the winds come up so you can be powered on the 8 in the morning and then lit on it in the late afternoon. Even if it's a day that the locals consider a no wind day, you can still go out on a 13 Crossbow and plasma and have a great session which for Floridians is a usually the norm. The people are friendly and it's been such a great place to chill out if you want or you can find tons of things to do. There's a rain forest 30 mins away as well as the SUP conditions are perfect. You can ride the wave in ether direction and it's a slow waves which helps for learning to surf. The house that everyone stays at is great too. Davo takes care of everything and if you need anything, he's there to help you. I find that the first question is that people ask "is it safe?" This place is really safe. Defiantly safer than most parts of Miami, and the people are always willing to help you if you get lost. IF you have any other questions, let me know.

Citispider hit me up when you get here, I'll be hitting up your buddy's places for sure.
Later~Nick
Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 PM

What is the water temp? Air temp?

What is causing the wind? Is it thermal? Sounds like it.

How does it compare to Peru???

Heard that place is sick as well.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Default Ecuador

Nick, How long does the season last?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 AM

What is the water temp? = 77

Air temp?= 80 no humidity

What is causing the wind? Is it thermal? Sounds like it. = It is created by a seas breaze, but mainly the reaction of the humboldt current.

How does it compare to Peru??? It is eaiser to get around than peru and you can do really nice downwinders, Peru is great as well, but you have mainly 2 wave spots that are 45 min away , but are really advanced. Ecuador has something for everyone. Peru is about 10 degrees colder as well.

Season is from june-november and the waves get crazy in mid sept-november.

aloha