FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Lessons From The Hard Side
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Reconfiguring this website

Although lots of people visit this site, very few ever post anything. It could be approached like a library where people aren't expected to contribute content. Otherwise it seems kind of silly to keep things going on the current basis. Some structural changes are probably appropriate. Input?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Reconfiguring this website

Although lots of people visit this site, very few ever post anything. It could be approached like a library where people aren't expected to contribute content. Otherwise it seems kind of silly to keep things going on the current basis. Some structural changes are probably appropriate. Input?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

62 views to date and no comment.

No answer is a pretty strong answer all by itself.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

62 views to date and no comment.

No answer is a pretty strong answer all by itself.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-01-2005, 05:28 PM

I think you do a great service for the worldwide community Rick. If you feel that your time is better spent having a more manageable website then go for it.
I hope you retain at least some of the FKA website and forum though?
www.kitepower.com.au
Old 08-01-2005, 05:28 PM

I think you do a great service for the worldwide community Rick. If you feel that your time is better spent having a more manageable website then go for it.
I hope you retain at least some of the FKA website and forum though?
www.kitepower.com.au
Old 08-01-2005, 06:27 PM

did I get this right? you might shut down FKSA.org? C'mon viewers! Get the word out there. I enjoy the site. I look for new posts everyday. It's a shame more people don't use it.

Here are some ideas:

I don't think florida people use the web/forum as much as other people. Or at least they don't know about it if they do. I have lived in FKA and MAKA areas and even upstate NY, but its in my opinion that florida people are happier and more active. I think it's because of the sun and weather. so maybe they dont use the computer as much as northerners? I don't check the locations of people on purpose usually, but just off hand from what I remember, it seems not many people from florida are posting on kiteforum.com and I would think there are more kiters in florida than in other major areas of the country wouldnt you? More people post on MAKA than on FKA it seems. Is FKA in the search engines? Perhaps when people do searches it doesnt show up as often? MAKA is a yahoo group, so maybe they show up more in seaches because of that?

So how to get people over to FKA? Having several regulars would be a plus. That way when a newbie posts something, they can get several solid opinions.

Also the viewers here could help get the word out on kiteforum about the FKA. cant really post about it, but these viewers and the regulars could have fksa.org listed in their signiature and as their website. That way they can respond to ppl on kiteforum about other topics while at the same time are advertising fksa.org for free right? I know I always check out interesting websites if they have them listed on the signiature at the bottom of their posts. I was glad to find FKA as an alternative to the mass, unorganized, worldwide junk on kiteforum. There are some good things on there, but if you are looking for stuff pertaining to florida, its a nightmare sorting through everything and trying to get a good answer out of it. Of course what I'm saying is cheating a bit, but definetly a way to get people to notice the FKA. FKA doesn't have all the BS that the big forums have. Its a great benefit to the sport. FKA is a non-profit organization too, so I don't think it's a sin for FKA users to have the link in their signiature. plus for many many topics its much more helpful to have a network of locals to correspond with rather than guys from europe and other parts of the world, so you really aren't taking away from kiteforum, just organizing the florida locals into a group where they can relate to people that kite and run from sharks in the same waters and wind as they do. Ok ok, that shark bit was just for my own humour, but seriously, I had FOUR shark encounters in 5 days time in Key West and New Jersey!! I never see sharks, but now I can't seem to get away from them.

How about some shops or schools to put a link to fksa.org on their website? New kiters taking lessons and what not are surely to check out the websites of their preferred shop/school and are probably very likely to take interest in the fka for advice and know-how. Maybe the shops won't go for it, but some may.

Well I hope the site doesn't get shut down. This site is definetly a good service. Especially for those that are unsure of the sport. Their answered questions here can help keep them safe. I would post on here more, but I am in the middle of relocating and a half dozen other objectives, so expect to hear more from me in a few months when things calm down. That is if the site is still here. keep up the good work Rick.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:27 PM

did I get this right? you might shut down FKSA.org? C'mon viewers! Get the word out there. I enjoy the site. I look for new posts everyday. It's a shame more people don't use it.

Here are some ideas:

I don't think florida people use the web/forum as much as other people. Or at least they don't know about it if they do. I have lived in FKA and MAKA areas and even upstate NY, but its in my opinion that florida people are happier and more active. I think it's because of the sun and weather. so maybe they dont use the computer as much as northerners? I don't check the locations of people on purpose usually, but just off hand from what I remember, it seems not many people from florida are posting on kiteforum.com and I would think there are more kiters in florida than in other major areas of the country wouldnt you? More people post on MAKA than on FKA it seems. Is FKA in the search engines? Perhaps when people do searches it doesnt show up as often? MAKA is a yahoo group, so maybe they show up more in seaches because of that?

So how to get people over to FKA? Having several regulars would be a plus. That way when a newbie posts something, they can get several solid opinions.

Also the viewers here could help get the word out on kiteforum about the FKA. cant really post about it, but these viewers and the regulars could have fksa.org listed in their signiature and as their website. That way they can respond to ppl on kiteforum about other topics while at the same time are advertising fksa.org for free right? I know I always check out interesting websites if they have them listed on the signiature at the bottom of their posts. I was glad to find FKA as an alternative to the mass, unorganized, worldwide junk on kiteforum. There are some good things on there, but if you are looking for stuff pertaining to florida, its a nightmare sorting through everything and trying to get a good answer out of it. Of course what I'm saying is cheating a bit, but definetly a way to get people to notice the FKA. FKA doesn't have all the BS that the big forums have. Its a great benefit to the sport. FKA is a non-profit organization too, so I don't think it's a sin for FKA users to have the link in their signiature. plus for many many topics its much more helpful to have a network of locals to correspond with rather than guys from europe and other parts of the world, so you really aren't taking away from kiteforum, just organizing the florida locals into a group where they can relate to people that kite and run from sharks in the same waters and wind as they do. Ok ok, that shark bit was just for my own humour, but seriously, I had FOUR shark encounters in 5 days time in Key West and New Jersey!! I never see sharks, but now I can't seem to get away from them.

How about some shops or schools to put a link to fksa.org on their website? New kiters taking lessons and what not are surely to check out the websites of their preferred shop/school and are probably very likely to take interest in the fka for advice and know-how. Maybe the shops won't go for it, but some may.

Well I hope the site doesn't get shut down. This site is definetly a good service. Especially for those that are unsure of the sport. Their answered questions here can help keep them safe. I would post on here more, but I am in the middle of relocating and a half dozen other objectives, so expect to hear more from me in a few months when things calm down. That is if the site is still here. keep up the good work Rick.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: CLOSING DOWN THIS WEBSITE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
or parts of it anyway.

Although lots of people visit this site, very few ever post anything. It could be approached like a library where people aren't expected to contribute content. Otherwise it seems kind of silly to keep things going on the current basis. Input?
well, not sure why you don't get more in your other forums but in the case of this safety report forum, what more can be added?

You provide such a complete and unbiased observation and a service to the community. But it is not the stuff to produce discussion. And that is ok.

David
Old 08-02-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: CLOSING DOWN THIS WEBSITE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
or parts of it anyway.

Although lots of people visit this site, very few ever post anything. It could be approached like a library where people aren't expected to contribute content. Otherwise it seems kind of silly to keep things going on the current basis. Input?
well, not sure why you don't get more in your other forums but in the case of this safety report forum, what more can be added?

You provide such a complete and unbiased observation and a service to the community. But it is not the stuff to produce discussion. And that is ok.

David