FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Bahamian Kiteboarding Forum
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-25-2007, 06:42 PM

Lightbulb i think its bout time we took a trip

this is my first season so idont know what u guys have done in the past....but i would like to go hit up a Family island one of these windy weekends. Go exploring for some sweet spots. I was just wondering if anyone would be down if we planned ahead to take off on the Bohengi to exuma or eleuthra when we have a solid forecast for the weekend. I would love to hit up surfers beach. Anyway lemme know whats up and maybe we can get a trip in before seasons end.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:34 PM

I concur with Surfers Beach idea. Count me in. Can you check out ferry times etc. Can we make a call like Weds, go thurs for Fri and Sat and come back Sun.

Staying where- the hotel right at surfers beach?
Old 01-26-2007, 02:54 PM

Tracey and I are going to Eleuthera on the last w/e of February. We leave Friday and come back Sunday afternoon and will stay at www.cocodimama.com (fairly expensive but very nice). If you guys plan to go try to come on the same w/e and I'll meet you at Surfers Beach....
Old 02-21-2007, 06:28 PM

Talking

If 17/18k ESE and the 3 stars that the below web site is forecasting for the w/e at Surfers Beach don't make you come to Eleuthera I don't know what it will.

See you there.

matteo

http://magicseaweed.com/Surfers-Beach-Surf-Report/475/

PS: don't tell Tracey that this is a kite trip, she believes it's romantic w/e !!!http://www.fksa.org/images/icons/icon10.gif
Old 02-22-2007, 04:19 PM

When I get finished down here... I want to head somewhere to kite and surf and kite surf and... yeah.. that's all of it.

I will likely finish up end of March... but until then... getting time off will be tricky. If you have your trip then... I'm in...
Old 02-25-2007, 08:26 PM

I'm back. First of all I have to apologize to BalloonBoy because I didn't take his 12m with me...and I promised I would have given a good test-ride, dam.

Like I said, we stayed at www.cocodimama.com, a beautiful place for couples but definetely not good for kiters. The bay is awesome, shallow water, long beach and lots of shells too. The problem is that it's facing West and it's very protected both sides so I guess the only rideable wind direction is W (which means almost never).

Saturday I convinced Tracey to rent a car and drive to Surfers Beach. The wind was E which means on-shore. The swell was pretty big (4-6 feet) at least for me, but not very clean, most probably because of the on-shore wind. When we got there there was only 1 surfer out but didn't seem to have much fun. The wind was barely enough for my 14m (10-12k) but I've decided to rig anyway. It took a while to understand where was the best spot to start from, I had to be careful of rocks and waves on top of that with a light on-shore breeze. Finally I made it out, few gusts were fine so I started to get more confident around the break. Unfortunately didn't last too long, the wind died on me so I decided to pack up and leave. Overall I'm glad I went to the famous Surfers Beach, with a couple of extra knots I would have come home with a bigger smile though !!

After a quick check at ikitesurf I realized that the wind was going to be up Sunday morning, a bit more ESE though. So I decided to go out on the other side of where we where staying. There is a old US Army force there but nobody is around anymore, the beach is stunning, miles and miles of pure sand and no-one there. I could have had my first naked session......anyway the wind was shifting between side-on and off-shore so I didn't take too much chances, especially because I was there by myself (Tracey decided to sleep in). I went out to check the break out a bit and I almost found myself slaloming between coral heads, not a good feeling, trust me.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to find another spot to ride but from the little that I saw Eleuthera has great potential for kiting, especially waveriding. Later on the day we went down to Palmetto point to eat something (at Tippis) and the break looked awesome, did not know if it was all reef break but it just looked like Hawaii (on a small day).

The only advice I'd give is to study a bit more the area before going there, because I felt like wasting a lot of time driving around.