FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-14-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Thanksgiving visit

I might be visiting my sister in Jupiter around Thanksgiving and was wondering what the prospects were of getting some kiting in while there. I'd appreciate any answers to the following questions. I know the questions don't have exact answers - I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what to expect.

How often is it kiteable that time of year in the general vicinity?

What kite sizes are riders typically on that time of year? I have the following sizes: 8m, 9m, 10m, 12m. Is it likely I would need something bigger? Or, put another way, if 12m is the biggest size I bring, am I likely to get shut out over the period of one week?

How are the air and water temps then? Should I bring a shorty? Or a full wetsuit?

Any recommendations on locations in the area? I'm an advanced rider, at home in flat water or chop, and comfortable though not a pro in waves.

I just found this forum today, so I'll poke around a bit to see if I can find some answers to these questions myself. But any input from you locals would be great.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
How often is it kiteable that time of year in the general vicinity?

What kite sizes are riders typically on that time of year? I have the following sizes: 8m, 9m, 10m, 12m. Is it likely I would need something bigger? Or, put another way, if 12m is the biggest size I bring, am I likely to get shut out over the period of one week?

How are the air and water temps then? Should I bring a shorty? Or a full wetsuit?
12m mostly in Nov., although you can also find 16m and 9m days.
that time of year you can expect to find 2-3 days a week in that size maybe even a smaller size if a really strong front comes thru. if you want to increase your chances to 4-5 days a week bring a 16m 12m and 9m.

shorty is definitely all you need, air may be cooler than the water temps, low 70s or maybe high 60s

look here

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2086
Old 10-22-2007, 04:08 PM

Perfect timing. There's usually a lot of wind. Just go down to kite beach, which is about a mile north of Juno pier. A cool bunch of people, and there's always a group up for a nice long downwinder.

Enjoy!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:19 AM

Thanks for the info. Right now it's not looking like I'll be making the trip this year. But it's good to know that there should be some wind if I do
Old 11-08-2007, 07:11 PM

To bad, the best Turkey is a FL turkey! I am leaving for Pompano from Chicago on the 16th... Polo..