FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-11-2006, 02:29 AM

Default Comin to Miami...

Hi,

I am a rider from Stockholm, Sweden and are going to chill in Miami and the Keys for two wks over x-mas. Have checked up a few sweetspots that I want to surf; Crandon, The flats, and some of the parks down at the Key.

Quess I also have to get and IKO cert to ride at Crandon.

A few questions for the locals:

What are the chances to catch any wind in december?
What sizes do you mostly ride on when the wind comes?
Any other recommendations?

Thank you,
Old 11-11-2006, 02:36 AM

Saw another thread further down that gave a lot of info...

http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=2784

But still, what sizes are most common in december? Should I bring a 9 and a 12 or just the 12 with huge depower... :P
Old 11-11-2006, 03:29 PM
ruffridah89

Hey skye,
In December, We will be having pretty good winds. Probably around 14knts-26knts. I suggest you to bring both kites.
Yes, you have to have an IKO level 3 to ride in Crandon.
Any more info, just ask.
-Danny
Old 11-12-2006, 02:41 PM

I have sent a mail to a few kitecenters in Miami where I might get the IKO 3 cert, but they have not answered yet.

Are there any spots where I can ride without cert. / and not get hassled by rangers/police/authorities?

What about those stingrays? Need booties?

Packing 2 kites... :-)
Old 11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
ruffridah89

well,
There is Matheson Hammocks in Coral Gables. If coming here, launch AT LEAST 100 feet away from shore. Look it up at www.kitebeaches.com
Um, yea, you could bring booties. NO stingrays @ the bay. Maybe at the beaches. Booties do warm your feet!
-Danny
Old 11-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye
Are there any spots where I can ride without cert. / and not get hassled by rangers/police/authorities?

What about those stingrays? Need booties?

Packing 2 kites... :-)
I've been trying to answer this question by visitors from all over the world for years. What would you expect to find in an area with year round kiting, more kiters per capita than most of the USA, kiting took off here at least five to six years ago and 2.25 Million people with few readily accessible launch areas? Access issues. Finally, I have a good answer to this question:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1509

Crandon is one of the few places in the USA where certification is required, for now. So, it isn't a Miami thing, it applies to just one launch.

Booties will do no good against stingray barbs, they'll cut right through normal neoprene. Booties will help against sharp sea shells, broken glass, etc. and in Bay are a good idea.

I don't know about Matheson Hammock Danny as I don't go there often. However you will find stingrays throughout the rest of Biscayne Bay commonly. Just shuffle your feet when you walk to avoid stepping on one. Simple.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-13-2006, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI

I've been trying to answer this question by visitors from all over the world for years. What would you expect to find in an area with year round kiting, more kiters per capita than most of the USA, kiting took off here at least five to six years ago and 2.25 Million people with few readily accessible launch areas? Access issues. Finally, I have a good answer to this question:

Guess this could be a hot thread...

Yep, thanks Rick. Very good thread, I have it printed out :-)

Thanks for all info, its good to be prepared on all levels to be able to get as much kiting as possible on the vacation.

I read on kitebeaches.com that shorties might be required at some spots and Danny says that booties will keep my feet warm. I thougt Florida was blessed with sun and warm weather 365 days a year... :roll:

Anyway, I read that average temp in december is 70ths low 85 high? Is it over 70s in the air, I am happy.

What is warm and what is cold for you guys? I put my booties on pretty late. I am from Sweden, where there are polarbears in the streets and where Santa lives...

This is a few weeks ago... :P

Old 11-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI

Guess this could be a hot thread...

Yep, thanks Rick. Very good thread, I have it printed out :-)
I hope so. Please pass the word along. When I was a kid in Ft. Lauderdale, we had two part time dive charter boats. Why? Not much demand and no one had tried to alter things. Today there are well over 50.

Today, they are two boats that run to the Flats on a regular basis that I know about. This could change and make vacation prospects for visitors much better with excellent kiting conditions far away from land in calm shallow water rideable in winds from all directions. I have no business interest in this but I would be very gratified to avoid the access issues for a while. This is a great way to do this.

Quote:
Thanks for all info, its good to be prepared on all levels to be able to get as much kiting as possible on the vacation.

I read on kitebeaches.com that shorties might be required at some spots and Danny says that booties will keep my feet warm. I thougt Florida was blessed with sun and warm weather 365 days a year... :roll:

Anyway, I read that average temp in december is 70ths low 85 high? Is it over 70s in the air, I am happy.

What is warm and what is cold for you guys? I put my booties on pretty late. I am from Sweden, where there are polarbears in the streets and where Santa lives...

This is a few weeks ago... :P

Nippy stuff, I am always impressed to see guys in the Nordic countries going year round. Intense and a bit hazardous at times. Anyway, the booties I was referring to are fairly thin boots, say 2 mm, with hard soles to protect your feet from cutting on shells and glass. Not for warmth. I would think you could leave your polar booties at home.

Our wind from now through perhaps May comes from cold fronts. The temperature will vary with the passage of the front along with the wind speed and direction. Once the front passes the temperature goes back up. The more powerful the cold front the lower the air temperatures will go. Air temperatures into the 70, 60, 50 and even 40's F can and will happen. In December in January I would expect the temps to be in the 70's or higher and perhaps dip into the mid 50's for a few hours. The water temperature is usually a great deal warmer however. In more powerful fronts in the past in December and January we can even have them into the higher 30's at rare times. Light snow flurries on Miami Beach? Yes, but only once every 30 to 40 years or so. Miami runs warmer than much of Florida however a shorty is a good idea and if you can fit it in maybe a 3/2 full wetsuit. Some guys wear board shorts year round in Miami. Don't quite know why, maybe short sessions.

Some temperature and wind records appear at:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1096

Have a good trip. It really is warmer here, honest!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-13-2006, 11:10 AM
ruffridah89

Winter time, like Rick said, typically consists of 70 down to 60 degrees F.
A shortie would defenitely do. That's what I wear. Just wear your boardshorts over the shortie. Keep that in mind. Winter time=summertime for you.
Any questions, don't hesitate.
-Danny
Old 11-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Thanks guys!

Very useful info.