FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and PM's!
I re-read the posts and here's some thoughts:
I have no doubt that you guys are all for it, we just have to organize and follow through. Then first meeting or two will be to find out who wants to lead the way- we need ya!
Kitespear, thanks for posting a newer kiters perspective, we have several things in place locally that makes lessons more affordable-
-Steve-O has a great intro class for 50 bucks at WSW. I direct all my potential students to the class- Its very thorough and convenient, and save valuable time when the winds blowing, for both instructor and student.
- Matt has covered the college guys and girls with his organizations.
-I do what I can for the rest of the newer kiters at free or reduced rates.
- Matt and I both offer free lessons to Fire, EMS,LEO's,Marine Patrol,Parks Dept. etc. to score some brownie points with the "officials".
We're not trying to tell people where they can ride or who to take lessons from, we want to point them in the right direction to a safe, complete lesson. Guys like the kook in SRQ trying to teach is dangerous, his students will unknowingly be a danger too, despite their effort to take lessons.
Bayflite is one of the safest kiters I know, and has always set a positive example as a kiter. I cant even imagine him shreddin' too close swimmers or surfers.
The only thing we can do about the swim zones is to be on our best behavior. Newer kiters should drag out away from shore to water start, especially in onshore winds. Even at the swim buoys, crashing your kite puts you in the swim area and requires either quick relaunch or self rescue to avoid a problem. IMO, new kiters should stick to flat water until they are proficient at riding upwind, relaunch, self rescue, which is a whole lot more challenging being dragged in deep water, waves, and current. Crab trap buoys are small, but can ruin your day.
There's also plenty of areas with no water users up and down the coast, and thats where can safely shred the waves. Behind the Bilmar, or at the Undertow is a bad place to do it and will most likely cause a problem. I sometimes ride at T.I., well south of the Bilmar and there's usually not many people around, so I am also guilty of riding in the zone.
We all do it and we just have to be smart about it and appear to care more than we do now.
(...And you guys thought E-Bone was long winded? Haha)
Later