FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Tom Stock

Cool, I really appreciate the offer. But fortunately Colin built me a mini CNC machine for shaping blanks. From now on I will be shaping by computer. This will be great because I'll be able to do 20 blanks in one day, all exactly the same.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 AM

iv seen what a CNC can do for a cabinet shop and i imagine that it will just as good for shaping your boards. post some pics of it in action next board you build.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:11 AM

Hey Tom, been checking out the progress and have to say that is the nicest board I have ever seen. I ride Crazyflys and really like the snappy feel of the carbon.

Used to have a 127x40 CF that I put a small crack in. I was told that particular size was the only one to break. I still rode it for about a month before getting a 132x44 CF. Sold it for $50 to a light guy who wanted to fix it.

Anyways, both the CF started out really stiff, then after some riding "softened" up a little and seemed snappier. You think your board might do the same?

With the new CNC can you make custom sizes? When are you gonna start selling? I WANT ONE!

later

pebbles
Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Tom Stock

Cool good to know. I have never owned a CF board myself (and still don't)

I could already do custom sizes but now I can do it a lot easier. Hopefully once I get everything set up I will be able to make boards quicker so it won't take so long for a board. It should also bring my expenses down.

Selling? I dunno. Maybe a few here and there for friends and such ... The last one I made was for Colin who lost his board, and this one is for Josh who broke his. Hate to see a buddy have a $600 bad day.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:04 AM

Just figured with the CNC the next step would be selling boards. If you could make 15-20 boards a year it might be profitable.

Later

pebbles
Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Tom Stock

Yeah I'll have to think about it... Guess it depends on how many people show an interest.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Skyway Scott

If you sold the boards for 400, complete; had a 2 or even 3 year warranty (does anyone do 2 or more years?); and maybe had some sort of custom graphic, how could people not be interested in your boards?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Tom Stock

@#$ I have shards of carbon fiber all over me. I feel like a porcupine was rolling around in my clothes while i was sleeping.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
@#$ I have shards of carbon fiber all over me. I feel like a porcupine was rolling around in my clothes while i was sleeping.

LOL! that would be the reason not to make them ( unless you get a huge fan blowing the stuff all outside )
Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 PM

I'm thinkin this may be a project worth throwing some money at.....