FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Default Hobie Day tomorrow!!!

If the signs are not up yet and we are allowed to ride at Hobie, please keep it on the outside.

It is everyone's responsibility to inform riders that they can not ride on the inside. No jumping inside the buoys, etc. It's time to firm up a bit and get some localism going. I hope all of the shops help to support keeping Hobie a safe spot and help in the fight to preserve access.

Keep instructors off the beach please!!! Most of the time a person talking a lesson from any loser that would teach at Hobie doesn't have any real knowledge of the danger they are in. Take it upon yourself to ask the instructor to leave and if he/she doesn't, at least inform the student of the danger that they are being put in and they they should seek qualified instruction. At this point it's up to them... i guess...

It's going to be a very gusty day in storm like conditions. Be prepared, ride the right size kite, and give yourself distance. If you see someone that needs encouragement to avoid road rash, encourage them strongly. If you see someone standing on the beach with a kite high, tell them to "keep it low and go".

Have fun and be safe!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:32 AM

I'm not from that area so I don't believe what I hear about this Hobie place. Can you or someone take some pictures and videos of these offenders as proof?

I'd also like to use some clips for a Public Service Annoucement to show what not to do to the local kiteboarding boys and girl club.

And I'd also like to give credit where credit is due, so if this is really happening and you can show me by pictures and videos, I'd like to put their names in the credits of my PSA.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

It looks real powerful by the forecast, powerful squalls likely too it seems. It may clear with a post frontal high and strong winds after the leading edge passes. As Hobie is so close to the mainland winds will be real gusty regardless of the over all system. If folks are careless with a kite up in the gusts or when a squall moves in could get nasty, again.

So, signs are being prepared to ban the spot? Well they say bad kids get coal for Christmas a ban seems to be a close thing for kiters. Not all kiters either just the special few.

Tonight...South southwest winds 15 to 20 knots becoming 23 to 28 knots. Gusts to gale force after midnight. Seas 3 to 5 feet building to 5 to 7 feet. Dominant period 5 seconds. North northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop becoming rough in exposed areas after midnight. Showers likely through the night. Slight chance of thunderstorms after midnight.

Sunday...West southwest winds 26 to 31 knots becoming west northwest 23 to 28 knots. Gusts to gale force. Seas 4 to 6 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet well offshore. Dominant period 6 seconds. Northeast swell around 2 feet. Intracoastal waters rough in exposed areas. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms.

Sunday Night...Northwest winds 20 to 25 knots near shore to northwest 22 to 27 knots in the gulf stream. Gusts to gale force. seas 2 to 4 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. Dominant period 7 seconds. Northeast swell around 2 feet becoming west southwest. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Synopsis...A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE SOUTH FLORIDA WATERS LATE TONIGHT AND INTO EARLY SUNDAY WITH STRONG HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING BEHIND THE FRONT. A PERIOD OF GALE FORCE GUSTS IS POSSIBLE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS STRONG FRONT...ESPECIALLY BEHIND THE FRONT SUNDAY MORNING. SUSTAINED GALE FORCE WINDS CANNOT BE RULED OUT OVER THE OFFSHORE PALM BEACH WATERS FROM SUNRISE SUNDAY THROUGH ABOUT NOON. THIS RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE BEHIND THE FRONT WILL THEN SHIFT EAST INTO THE ATLANTIC BY LATE TUESDAY INTO THE LATTER PART OF THE UPCOMING WEEK.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...fl&zmx=1&zmy=1

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-25-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Folks already have put up images, twice! Just search for "Hobie" for some posted within the last year.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi