Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Paul Menta Resigns from PASA To Form Online Kiteboarding University

For Immediate Release

Paul Menta Resigns from PASA To Form Online Kiteboarding University

Paul joined PASA Kiteboarding in early 2000 and has enjoyed the challenges of building the Student and Instructor certification program. Starting with the preparation of a training manual in 1999 and heading Wipika training operations in the USA, he saw a need for a U.S. set of teaching standards. Paul subsequently traveled for two years throughout the US observing dozens of schools, training procedures and area characteristics to better perfect teaching methods and to help the sport grow sensibly. Moving from two line to four line Kites over the last eight years, Paul helped with the transition and creating new ways to launch, land and help Instructors teach more safely. Paul was the first to come with Internet based techniques for the BOW Kite revolution.

Paul said, “I have a different vision from PASA at this point and want to give more back to the sport. I am resigning from PASA as Head of Kiteboarding Training to form The Kiteboarding University or Kite U.” Kite U is the first Kiteboarding instructional program of its type worldwide. Paul wants to substantially improve quality control, awareness of new developments and procedures, communication, responsiveness between Instructors, Students and the Training Organization. When people need help, he wants resources to be there.

Kite U is a unique and exciting new online distance learning program. It will be offered through a respected accredited College that has been in existence for over forty years. This isn’t simply a “virtual” College but a “bricks and motar” institution that has been serving academic and vocational learning for decades. Kite U curriculum will be offered through their existing distance learning academic center. The program will offer courses for beginners up through Instructors, including certification and continuing education. The online curriculum will be tied to in the field training with schools and at periodic seminars for Instructors. The program is being designed by Paul Menta, other Kiteboarding experts and a team of experienced University-level online educators and programmers. Classes will maximize the benefits of Internet-based instruction including both live and archived multimedia content, Podcasts, student-instructor/T.A. chatrooms and more. Archived instructionals on specific types of gear will be warehoused for reference by both students and instructors. The online content of Kite U alone is not a replacement for hands-on lessons but is an excellent supplement to traditional kiteboarding gear and skill instruction. Kite U also provides a support system for when students finish certification training.

Kiteboarding University will offer:

- Online classes, with live classroom each week with both University and visiting Kiteboarder/Instructors to diversify and expand the knowledge conveyed by the program and to improve uniformity of content well beyond current levels.

- Hands-on water training for students will occur at approved kiteboarding schools throughout the USA and for instructors at annual continuing education seminars.

- Course content will cover essential topics, such as weather, launch selection, gear selection maintenance and preflighting, emergency procedures and more that conventional instruction sometimes may not cover adequately due to lack of time. Content will be updated regularly to keep in touch with new technology and procedures.

- Student evaluations on the course, instructor performance and feedback from instructors will be collected realtime from all participants, even before final certification is conferred via the Internet. This essential step in instructional quality control is frequently lacking in current training programs.

- An online Support Center for people to keep updated on new gear and safety 24/7 including a wide variety of topics, image/video libraries of set up, launching, riding, self-rescue, weather planning, advanced topics, instructional methods and more.

- College course credits from an accredited institution. Instructors will update certifications annually via online and practical evaluation to improve awareness of the latest gear and techniques.

- Internships and placement assistance for candidate Instructors with existing training institutions worldwide. Valuable on the job training will take things well beyond the current approach of “here’s your diploma, have a nice day.” Full Instructor certification will be conferred only upon successful completion of written and practical exams and the Internship. Schools are frequently looking for qualified instructors and assistants, Kite U will serve a need in this area.

- Training/certification programs will be one quarter of the prices commonly set currently by most existing training organizations, so it will be affordable to take the classes.

- The courses can be taken at the times that work for the student and even during the off season.

- Insurance will be available to Certified Instructors at a reasonable rates, allowing graduate Instructors the option to help existing schools or become independent.

“This will be the first course that will be through a university and have other professionals such as meteorologists, EMT’s, and more providing content to the classes.”

“As much as the sport has grown, I feel that the technology out there can now be used to better the sport”

Paul will still remain a member of PASA, and plans to continue to help the organization.

More to come from Kite U. Kiteboarding Instruction is about to enter a new day of quality, excellence and accessibility.

###

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 10-31-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 AM

Congrats Paul, and thank you for your continued efforts to promote safe instruction throughout the world. Let us know if there's anything we can do to assist in spreading the word.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 PM
ruffridah89

congrats paul
-Danny
Old 10-30-2007, 10:00 PM

Thanks guys, but man it is alot of work. Taken 10 years to figure out what i know, and every day i find i dont know enough. Thats why i will use other people in fields like meterology, enginering, emt, and more. Need these kind of people explaining things. I want to make more of a suport system for students learning. I see it everyday, they learn, but not alot of memory on certin things, it happens everywhere. This way they have a review, if they dont get the section corect they dont pass and have to research the corect answers. I hope it will make for great lessons for schools when someone shows up with some knowledge.

Some of the instruction i see scares me at this point. Some of the teaching spots, and how they just want to "get them on the board", people really need to learn and shadow an instructor to get real world advise and skills. Its a start and with the help of the college, will be a program that can go all over the USA.

My main goal for riders is a data base of how kites work, so if someone buys a kite 2 years old, they can see how it is set and works.
Anyway, long road ahead, but i will be asking for lots of help.

Aloha Paul
Old 10-31-2007, 06:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Great concept Paul, the power of the Internet can be immense. Your ability to update and maintain course content at certain levels will be an excellent advantage in this. Kiters need to know a lot more than just how to setup, water start and ride, your program should give them so much more. There are a number of folks with expert knowledge in these areas that should be willing to help out. A big plus is instructor performance feedback and input on the program in general from all participants should be virtually assured very rapidly. At present such feedback and training organization oversight can be lacking. This should raise the bar on instructional quality system wide. Looking forward to it!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 PM

Just saw that the physical class i will teach at the college starts jan 16th. Will be 2 days a week. The acredited program for instructors and beginners should be ready in summer. Who would have thought, but it does tie in with many other subjects.

Will keep ya updated.

aloha Paul