FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > 60 Mile Jupiter To Ft. Lauderderdale RACE! > 2007-08 Jupiter To Ft. Lauderdale Race, What Happened?!
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Ken,

Was it a Portuguese that hit you? Did you have any reaction other than "damn that hurts!" I am recalling what you went through on the way to Bimini. Also, 42 mph before a wave, yow that is cooking. Did you splat at the end or ride it out?

Hey Neil, how many times did Hamish beach to pump up by mouth? I recall doing the leading edge of 23 m once on the beach in Boca that had me seeing stars. Did a 5 m once in major surf the day after a hurricane just to get into shore, amusing stuff. Getting in successfully and landing with a saggy unruly kite in yesterday's high winds and surf, mouth inflating a kite until you're dizzy repeatedly is almost beyond belief.

Kent what sort of board speed could you maintain well offshore on your 10 m? I know conditions were highly variable with smooth corridors opening up once in a while between sets. Still, often enough just once you get cooking some big comber comes in to be dodged, ridden over or grab your butt for a turn in the spin cycle.

A clip about Gebi's ride south, visiting shoreside involuntarily before coming in with a very respectful fourth place.

It sounds like there are a ton of bizarre and exciting experiences on the way south, so tell us about it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-22-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I tried to clean up the video a bit with limited success. My apologies to Jeremy and his brother but it seems I was having some camera housing issues when I shot this. Promise the other videos will be much clearer. Anyway, on to Jeremy ...

A photo of Jeremy at the awards ceremony courtesy of George Moore.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-22-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

This was my third time doing this run since last year. My normally slow performance was even slower this time. Missed the start by about 15 minutes going back to change my 9 m for a 13 m, setting up, retuning the kite, twice (first time on a new kite in high wind). Went up thinking I might rig anything from a 7 m, 9m to a 13 m depending on actual wind conditions once the sun was up a bit. The 9 m was the best one to go with but was also the oldest of the three kites with highest bar pressure being an early flat kite. So, opted to use a new 13 m. Had a hard time edging out beyond the pier tacking more than at any other time. The wind had lightened, shifted onshore from side onshore from the north and I was having to sine a 13 m and edge very hard to try to get out. Managed to get past the pier, finally, and spent the next x miles in the breaker zone trying hard to work further offshore with more tacking, strange. The wind finally filled in and the 13 m spent most of the rest of the race around the zenith. Still, despite being well powered, I had some room to go before being teabagged, which may have happened twice coming off wave crests in 60 miles. Had very light bar pressure which was a plus for me. The trouble with riding with the kite near the zenith is that you can't go very fast. Staying well offshore in the breaker zone you can't go all that fast anyway before dealing with breaking waves. Got knocked off the board off the board about five times, once without the reel leash, ouch. Used a pull tie weak link on the reel leash that worked well as it broke once. Managed to roll the kite in a couple of waves and wrap the front and rear kite lines just south of the pier in Juno. Chose to ride like that all the way to Delray. It is interesting how much a wrap effects performance on an overpowered kite. Things got easier once I had it unwrapped at the Delray checkpoint. Think I lost at least 45 min. doing stupid stuff over last years ride just getting past Lake Worth Inlet.

Conditions were lighter than last year's pre-race nuking conditions but the waves were a bit larger and wind definitely stronger than last years actual race. Like last years runs, the waves diminished the further south you went, dropping off as you past each inlet a bit. Unlike last years runs, the wind built or stayed up all the way to the finish after the lulls around my start. Some weather moved over during the run, but fortunately no evil looking clouds or high gusty winds showed up. I was rolled once in the falls off Highland Beach. Fortunately, had the kite low and to the NW just before so I rolled around the lines instead of getting sushi rolled up in them.

Of Palmetto Park Blvd. in Boca I was shooting video while riding along when a manatee surfaced in front of me for air. I have never seen them out in such high seas before. Caught it on video too, stay tuned for the clip. Anyway, I never go into these things to race but to cruise. This time walking may have been faster. I feel like I am going downhill riding south and moving past Delray, things seem to be really downhill and easier. As you pass each inlet, time seems to speed up. Once I was south of Hillsboro Inlet, like last year, I was able to go a lot faster on the calmer water aside from times when the wind would spike up bringing the kite back up to the zenith.

Anyway, it was fun as always, pretty stiff in one leg today after the Jupiter run and 27 + 10 mile run in Naples two days before. Wondering if there are other distance races to happen this season? Hint!

Have to put together a video and perhaps a article with stills. It would really be good to hear from the dozens of other riders in this thing. What is it they say? Oh, yeah, if you don't write it down, it never happened!

So, what happened to you?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-23-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Hi all,

What a great time it was on monday, think I have just started to get back to normall. Although I did not have any reports from lifeguards I did hear a few remarks of some riders entering swim areas, this is something that can not happen. Reports have been somewhat inconsistent so it is hard to put a accurate finger on it of exactly who and how much this did happen and I don't really want to bring the stoke down as I feel we all have to fine tune things with exact rules and proceedures and how they will be tackled and inforced in the future. If we are going to grow this event in the future it is very important that we take care of these issues for the access issues of beaches and the fairness of competition to all riders, especially when money is involved. For example if any beaches ever got shut down due to this event I would not sleep at night and if there is thousands of dollars at steak for the winners it has to be a fair playing feild.
Things are done for this year and it was a huge success but once again I have learnt a lot and have already started planning next years race and have some great ideas for it and how to resolve any discrepancies or flaws of this years race. We will fine tune things and make sure that every year it gets bigger and better than the last.

Thanks again to all, it was amazing. Cheers Neil
Old 01-23-2008, 02:22 PM

Thumbs up

This is an awesome thread.

Congrats to the winners and to anyone who even entered! You're all winners...what a great experience.

The stories are excellent reading and it's interesting to get the detailed descriptions and individual experiences - keep them coming. Old (friendly) rivalries, new champs and veterans, near kitemares with happy endings...all good stories. I'm hoping next time I can break away and enter.

Nice work Race Committee/volunteers! Most people have no idea how hard you guys work to make things go off, not to mention the sacrifice of your time.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 01-23-2008, 02:26 PM

I rigged a little too big ... went on a 10 Bularoo and my directional, when I probably could have been on a 7. But there were times when I was definitely glad to have the power to pull me away from the giants.

The scariest part for me was the start ... with the wind so onshore, using my directional with big fins, I kept getting pushed into the sand (you can't just power through and ride the sand with such big fins, like you can do with a twintip), ending up way downwind of the start. I could see all the "lucky" people who had made it out beyond the shorebreak and were ready to start the race. I kept having to run back up the beach to try to get out, and I was panicked and dehydrated. Finally, at 8:57, I eeked through some whitewater and was on my way out, although far south of the starting line, but in one tack with my board, I was back where I needed to be, in the nick of time.

Another scary part was right before the Lake Worth Pier when I didn't give myself a wide enough berth, then got munched by a wave and almost got pushed into it. I was happy to have my directional, which I needed to make a hard upwind cut, and just managed to squeak between the pylons and make it through. Very sketchy. However, I'm not so sure I did any better this year on a directional than I did last year on a TT. Last year, I broke a footstrap and lost some time there having it repaired by some innocent bystander. This year, I was only about 18 minutes faster than last year, but I didn't have to stop for equipment repairs. (For the Naples Race, which was completely downwind, yes, directional much better ... this race, not so sure.)

On account of the issues I had in Naples, I kept saying, "Don't drop the kite," but because I was so overpowered and riding with my kite at 12 the whole time, it wasn't really an issue, and even when I got eaten by some waves, the kite was at 12 and lifting me up. Luckily I had a board leash for the 2 times I lost my board, and wearing a seat harness helped ... otherwise, my harness would have been around my neck.

Last year, I could stop paying attention to the waves soon after the Delray checkpoint, but this time, I was constantly running from waves until I got to Ft. Lauderdale, where it was just choppy. There were times when I had no choice but to go as fast as I could ... overpowered, hanging on, and trying not to explode ... but when it got closer to Ft. Lauderdale and I was really tired, I had to tell myself to just keep going ... half an hour more ... etc. That last stretch seemed like a never-ending journey in hell ... kept thinking, "Water, water ... I need water."

I was SO happy when I finished. Shannon owes a couple of people some money.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Yeah Stacey, your right I forgot about that. Shannon owes me too. Sweet. Neil
Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Next round is on Shannon, way to go! Do folks have photos of the event? If so, let's see them.

Laura shot this just after the start ...

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Again, a little Best-slanted, but still some pretty cool footage ... helicopter looks so cool hovering between the kites at aroud 2:28.

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Vide..._mile_race.wmv
Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Default Race

Great race neil here are some pics of the start a friend sent me she took from the pier ENJOY