FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 PM
popeye

Default Count how long it takes...

Count in seconds, how long it takes, from the point at which this guy realizes he's in trouble, until he hits the beach. Onshore winds... would you have time to pull your quick release? Think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdmk58KXtI

3 seconds.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Skyway Scott

8 seconds.
He rode for 5 totally litt before losing his edge.
He could have dumped it when he realized he was screwed.
Must have been a C-kite, I bet.
I agree, it still happened pretty fast.
Hope he didn't get impailed on a sailboat mast or sumtin, wonder why the censored it?

Here's a classic of why you should have distance as your friend when jumping in onshore winds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8mrj...elated&search=

especially unhooked and if you are going to switch sides of your bar with one turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ssO...elated&search=
Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 AM

like the best t-shirt says

UNHOOK

if comming unhooked iz scary 2 u...practice.

don't hook yourself 2 a kite with a combination lock.

donky dicks r bad...very bad.

a quick release iz a last option.

unhook, it makes your tricks look better and really iz not that hard 2 do w/practice.

l8r
Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 AM
popeye

From the point at which he lost his edge (the huge gust) to impact was 3-4 seconds.

Unhook? Yeah right lol.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Can't Re-member

I hate to disagree with you bro' ( yeah right! )

But I don't think you can unhook when the bar is pulling with the equivalent force thats many times your weight and increasing in a matter of a few seconds

lets try an experiment: hook up the bar/lines to the fender of a stopped car, hook in and tell the driver to punch it. I bet he hits 60 mph B 4 you can unhook

donky dicks R'nt bad, same as any other shackle system. better cause they don't get stuck mechanically ( thats not my QR tho and shouldnt B your QR )
Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Skyway Scott

Yeah, it was all fast!
I am just saying, he didn't get yanked off egde without some warning.
He had been edging pretty hard. Idk, it's easy to sit here and watch this stuff, I guess. I do know kitemares use to happen a lot more frequently when we were on C kites. A local rider recently returned from Ormond (Ryan) who has been riding for several years. I asked him how often he remembered seeing a kitemare (not necessarily ambulance... but getting dragged ashore or hitting a truck, similar) from 4 seasons ago. He said usually every time out, or at least every other time. That's how I remember it too.

Depowering (to any large extent) just wasn't really possible when things went wrong, so we'd get dragged around.

I think BigR might remember me getting dragged pretty good on Rob Hassle's Contra 19 (C kite) at Big beach. I got lofted and dragged down the beach and just kept dragging at mach one in the water when it went from 10 knots to 20 in a heart beat on a big kite.

I really don't miss those old kites in our winds.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 AM
popeye

Yeah... my point really was just how fast real kitemares usually happen... and that DISTANCE is your friend.. you can't assume you'll always have time to pull the release, unhook, or crash the kite.

This guy was just "holding it down" like any of us would do... and then bam.

Problem is he was only one line length from shore and the winds were onshore to boot.

This could happen on any kite... it's just easier to have it happen on C kites. This could have been a 16 waroo inverting when it spiked to 30, or a 9M bow kite looping in 35 when a bridle or the bar snapped.

Distance distance distance... that was my point

Donkey dick hard to remove??? huh? You just grab the CL with one finger under it and pull it. It pops out instantly. Thats far better than unhooking accidentally on the beach and BAM full power and unhooked surprise!

bayflite is hardcore oldschool jokin with ya.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM
popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayflite View Post
like the best t-shirt says

UNHOOK

if comming unhooked iz scary 2 u...practice.

unhook, it makes your tricks look better and really iz not that hard 2 do w/practice.

l8r
Which unhooked tricks have you been doing lately? Still struggling hopelessly with handlepasses myself I just can't get the kick up strong enough yet. I'm a fatty.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

This came up on kiteforum a while back. Thanks for reminding me about it. More information and considerations appear at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=4701

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM

"Unhook? Yeah right lol."

tom
it takes less time 2 unhook than it does 2 crash the kite and pull the quick release.

if anyone iz wondering...when i say unhook i just mean get comfy with your kite in a variety on situations.

some of us (me included) stupidly used to shackle ourselves to the c loop.

why?

cuz we were so scared of comming unhooked.

stupid muchacho's!

it's really not that big of a deal.

get used to holding the bar with the c loop line going between two fingers using one hand, and hooking in/unhooking with the other hand.

raul

your analagy iz flawed.

its not even apples and oranges, it's...apples and cars.

changing the kites camber/power by letting go of the bar gives plenty of room to unhook.

don't get me wrong. i like having the option of a QR, it's just not my first option.