FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-14-2006, 04:33 PM

Hey scott, i rode the 15 link in about 13 and could not stay upwind i was on the 5 line version, to say the least i was extremely dissapointed in the Link, overhyped in my opinion.

Didnt even see and instinct im curious though.

See you at the expo.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Skyway Scott

Thanks. I am hoping the low end on the 15m Hyper type rocks
Old 10-19-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Hypertype LInk switchblade 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
SB2... The 12 had trouble looping. It looped very slow, making kitloop handlepass variations difficult for me.
Not sure what you're talking about Alex...maybe SB2 you flew wasn't trimmed right. I tried SB2 12m the other day in 10-11 knt conditions, flat water. I was just overwhelmed. The kite feels/turns/flies/loops like a stunt kite...FAST...
I could stay upwind, hop, loop, etc. (12m kite in 10-11knt wind... hard to believe to me too...but...), while I could just cruise downwind on my Contra 14...

Amazing engine.
Damn, I should have been patient, wait for another week, and get it instead of the Contra.

Haven't tried it (SB2 12) in high winds, haven't tried other sizes of SB2... can't comment on those...

Conclusion: Contra 14 still rocks nevertheless
Old 10-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Skyway Scott

Raul,

Any idea the actual size of the SB2 12m?
Thanks.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Can't Re-member

no , I haven't seen it but I have heard good things about it
Old 10-20-2006, 07:36 AM

I think it really was 12 square meters.
SB2 has higher aspect profile and therefore looks larger than its fat older bros (XBs and Contras)...
Old 10-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Skyway Scott

It looks larger than a 12m Contra?
Old 10-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Can't Re-member

What Scott is asking , tongue in cheek, is if the SB2 12M is the same total area as the Contra 12M . The contra 12M is a bigger kite than it looks, i.e. equal to a 15M slingshot
Old 11-09-2006, 07:47 PM

I've been riding Links for about 3 months now. I have the 15M rigged 5 line and all the rest 12M, 9M & 7M are 4 line. I've lengthened my 5th line about 10 inches on the 15M and added 2 inches to the trailing edge pig tales. With these adjustments and at 205 lbs. I can stay up wind in the surf and jump super good. I've been out here in St. Aug when most kiters were walking back up the beach and I could actually gain ground at will on my 137. My 15 has a huge range. I've been out in wind from 10 to low teens all the way to high 20s and had a blast. The kite boost me super good. Of all the Links the 15M 5 line has been my favorite until SS came out with the new bridle for the 12M.

I changed the bridle out on the 12M Link at the Halloween event and have had a chance to ride it twice since then. Once in 15 to 25mph onshore conditions in the flat water at the inlet and in breaking surf. I also got to put it to the test yesterday at Huguenot in offshore gusty wind 10 to 28 mph in waist to chest surf. My biggest beef with the 4 line configuration was that the kite wouldn't boost me high on jumps. Well based on my last 2 sessions on the new bridle for the 12M Link that problem has been resolved. I'm boosting way higher with the new configuration. I've also noticed it now relaunches much easier by just pointing the bar at the kite. The new bridle does increase bar pressure but I felt that was a plus for kite control as I can feel kite position through the bar. My only concern is that the nw bridle is much longer and may cause it to wrap on the kite if dropped in the surf. Overall I've noticed a huge performance improvement in my 12M. If you have a 12M Link and haven't tried the new bridle, get it, install it and feel the difference. It only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to install on the deflated kite.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Skyway Scott

You were gaining ground using a 15m Link (and a smaller board) at 205 (at will, nonetheless) when most of us in S.A. were losing ground? When exactly did this occur? Did Daryl, Pat, or myself see this? Who did? I will just call them.

I have been riding in S.A. for 5 months now. I have only seen on 2 occassions guys actually walking with kites back upwind. It's a rare event.
For one, most riders are seasoned and won't rig unless it is do-able.
Two, most riders are seasoned (lol) and switch to Glides or surfboards at sub 13 knots. Yet, claim you were going upwind at will on a 137 on a day these guys were walking? This is very hard to believe. I know for a fact I wasn't there. I would have been in shock given the circumstances mentioned.