FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 PM

Inviting the park, or any sort of authority to regulate our sport is a bad idea for our area IMO. We already have too much government intrusion into our lives; let’s keep the govt out of our sport.
We have been fortunate to have for the most part unrestricted access to all the beaches in our area. Let’s try to use some common sense and work together to protect our access. I am sure that most will agree that rules established by US will be more palatable than rules established by THEM.

I do support the idea of establishing some common courtesy rules and etiquette at the crowded launch sites for the sake of everyone’s safety. There is strength in numbers, and if the majority of us agree to establish some civilized order at the crowded riding spots it will be much easier to enforce as a group rather than one or two concerned riders.

Regarding a certification, if you are a competent rider without a card, catch me at the beach and I will confirm your level and issue you an IKO card. I would do this for free, however the cards aren't, so for $5 its yours.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 PM
tomstock

Old 10-19-2006, 09:03 PM

Old 10-21-2006, 02:59 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
First- the only way the county would be involved would be to keep a logbook of who is riding in Ft. Desoto at the office. A ONE TIME per season registration would provide them with a signed waiver of liability and emergency contact info. I have ridden with all of you for years, but if anyone of you got hurt, I wouldnt have a clue who to call. NONE of us would. We all have each others cell numbers in our phone, which is fairly useless in an emergency situation. Let's be prepared..

Second- I have suggested kiters insurance for LIABILITY purposes only. Is 89.00 per year too much for peace of mind? Suppose no leash guy at the Skyway had his kite go into the road and caused an accident? His liability ins. would cover it. What if it decapitated someones child with his kite lines? Wouldnt you feel better knowing that the childs family would at least get something for their loss? You guys all spend 2000 or more per season on new gear, and you dont have 89.00?

These are exactly the rules for bieng allowed to ride at Crandon Park, Miami. Except that you missed one. Over there they also Make you wear a helmet in addition to signing in at the park office B 4 U go kiting and having insurance + IKO cert.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:00 AM
Flaccid Member

Don't they also make you use a leash? The helmet is a good idea (I wear one always), but if I was king at least the leash would be manditory.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:39 AM
tomstock

Old 10-21-2006, 08:17 AM

Old 10-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Can't Re-member

I know that the rules and regulations really worked out well for the school in Miami since they worked out a monopoly for kiting at Crandon Park with the rangers.

I'm sure that it would work out similarly well over here and make money just like they did in Crandon.

:roll:

http://www.miamikiteboarding.com/New...%20Crandon.htm

http://www.miamikiteboarding.com/

:roll:
Old 10-21-2006, 03:53 PM

tom you are 100% right.. no one said anything (that i know of).. and i am not going to let that happen again for myself.. i was trying to work out the right thing to say in my mind but he got back in the water and was gone..

i personally have forgot to buckle my kite leash a couple times and i have been called out on it (Ebone!) and i seriously appreciate his sharp eyes for catching my mistake.

i guess i have heard a few "go f**K yourself" stories and im the no-confrontational type.

no more..

and yes.. i usually have an extra leash in my car.. i would suggest that everyone should grab a second leash and have ti with them incase someone might need to borrow it..
get some sort of collateral so no one forgets to trade back...etc..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-21-2006, 05:00 PM

Did my post get deleted or did I just not post it?

What rules did I violate with my post so I can be sure not to do it again.