FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-19-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Non-sponsored riders and loyalty

I guess what I am posting here is just something that always goes through my mind but is one of those things you never state out loud because it really isn't important, it's just kind of 'funny'. Isn't it strange how some of us who have no reason at all to be loyal to a single company (myself included) get so loyal to them anyway? You could post a Slingshot/Underground stamp on my head, we have Shannon Stock and Danny Best, Skyway Aggression Scott, Pete Martinho, Randy Cabrinha and Raul Crossbow, Flexi-Bone and Chris MionooreSeveral other Slingshot, Cabrinha, Underground, Aggression and Flexifoil guys. Just a friendly observation, kinda think it's funny how we all get wrapped up with loyalty to one company with all of the great product out there... I am branching out, we have the Ion, I use a Liquid Force waist harness as opposed to my old trusty Dakine Pyro and now Amber picked up an 8M Globerider GK Sonic that I look forward to trying out when it is honking! I also am going with the Ocean Rodeo 150 Mako Surf, I think Ocean Rodeo is one of the real up and coming companies for top-notch gear! All on top of my Slingshot quiver of C kites and Shred Ready helmet...

Any thoughts while us office workers look out the window and miss this great wind???
Old 09-19-2006, 02:40 PM

you mean, miss great RAIN....

and im im not danny Best, im Danny DP,

and i buy any type of kites, as long as i can afford them, id love to have a 17m 07 contra, but i dont have 1600 bucks just lying around, but i can come up with 700 for a 20m waroo which will have the same low end, maybe more....

if i had the money id also have 1 or 2 octanes, and possibly a naish torch

2 cents
Old 09-19-2006, 02:46 PM

I seem to strike a nerve with you every time I post, Mr. DP Danny!!!

Chill man, I'm just striking up conversation as I am pretty bored at my new job. I started during their busy time of year so I just sit here all day staring at my computer screen and get paid to do it! Not such a bad deal but do wish I were doing something different that I might enjoy...Oh well, you can't have it all! 8)

Oh yeah Danny, congrats on your avatar being in SBC Kiteboarding, I hadn't seen it until I opened up my copy of Volume 7, Issue 4 and saw it there to show how great our spots are.

Also, I was wondering if you might be able to schmooze with your contacts at SBC to get my avatar picture put in their magazine as St. Pete's "Best looking kiteboarder"???
Old 09-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Skyway Scott

Toby,

I get the jist of your point and agree to a large extent. It's probably best to stay open minded to function and not get attached to brand names.
Even I, the king of Best bashers, the day I saw the waroo, changed my take. I am pretty open minded, so I would prefer to not be lumped in there, thanks.

G.S. (at this point in time) absolutely makes one of the best stubby boards for medium/light winds, imo.
His other boards rock too! But, I also ride an underground 137, a SS Glide and now an RRD board.
For kites. I have a 12 Contra, 11m Ozone, 12m Flexi, 9m RRD.

I love the topic though.

How bout this one. How much weight does a sponsored rider's opinion hold?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:55 PM

I got hooked up with my slingy's. And I'm only loyal to one-pump.

My Caution board kicks ass too.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
E-Bone

Which is better, Coke or Pepsi? People prefer certain brands sometimes. I stick to Coke products, but Coke has never done anything for me. No worries there. I know I can rely on a product with their name on it.

I am loyal to kite companies who don't screw me with half-assed gear and who step up to the plate when stuff blows up before it is supposed to, in the sense that I will always recommend their stuff.

Whatever brand of kite I choose to ride from year to year, I plan to ride a matching quiver from now on because I want the quiver to be consistent from top to bottom. I want to be able to rig each kite the same way, without any confusion when switching kite sizes. Having a strong rigging routine equals less risk of making a rigging error and getting worked.

This year I have Flexis, last few years Norths, year before that Naish kites, but I've also had a 9m Best Waroo, a Cabrinha Black Tip back in the day, Flexi and Quadrifoil ram-air kites. I had one of the first Slingshot OnePumps out in Florida, as well, believe it or not. I've used Litewave, Wipika, Gaastra, RRD, Slingshot, Cabal, and Liquid Force boards. I've used Flexifoil, Wipika, Slingshot, and Cabrinha bars, with the Cabrinha Powerlocks being a long-time favorite, as well as a pulley bar Flexi used to make.

I bet a lot of riders who have been around for 5 years or so will have similar gear histories. It's easier now to stick with one brand because the stuff works now so much better across all sizes of a specific make and model of kite than it did just a few years ago.

Hell, maybe many of us are loyal to kite brands because some our happiest moments involve seeing that logo in the air.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bone
Hell, maybe many of us are loyal to kite brands because some our happiest moments involve seeing that logo in the air.
Didn't you fly the flying P# last season? :shock:
Now I know why you flew that same kite all the time. :wink:

Seriously, sounds pretty reasonable.

I stick with the combo number 7 because I figure I never get indigestion and haven't lost any hair or gotten sick yet, so it might be healthier than number 5. I don't know.

I hear you on the quality issue and sticking with it and the ease of sizing/rigging and getting in a routine ideas. That all sounds pretty reasonable. That's the main reason I try to use the same bar on everything. I would hate to grab the thinga ma jiggy thinking its my QR and not release in time. I really want MY bar on a kite, specifically for "oh sh#$ situations.

Perfect post E, as usual.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 PM

I always ride with my 17" slingshot bar... used to only ride with my pulley though.

I got on that 17" one time though and just like the feeling better. It turns WAY different and is easier to jump.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 PM

What about MY post Scott? It wasn't PERFECT enough for your stamp of approval??? I see how it is!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:07 AM

STAMP