FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I've been wearing helmets in all weathers and in many conditions (0 to 60 mph) with lots of different gear for over six years. I wore one part time for almost two years before that. Lots of nasty wipeouts in that time too against water and a couple of notable ones on land. Still here and won't ride without one.

I interviewed some of the best riders in the world, the first time helmets were required in a competition in the USA. This was at the 2003 Velocity Games. Not one competitor from Martin Vari, to Andre Phillips to about a dozen other riders said the helmets impaired their style of riding or ability to compete. This has been repeated in subsequent competitions since.

If you do wear a lid, make sure it fits well (doesn't slip), is comfortable, has low drag without bills or projections and the best padding/shell you can find for our sport.

Some good stuff to look over on this subject appears below:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=720
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=706
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=494
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=920
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=117
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=210

and many, many more.

Whether you wear a helmet or not is just one more choice. Do you homework, think it over and choose well.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-07-2006, 11:01 PM

Thanks Rick, I hope your post convinces some to wear one. Like you said though, it's a personal choice. I don't EVER want to be a witness to anything like one of those accidents so hopefully your post made a difference...
Old 06-08-2006, 12:02 PM
tomstock

Been saved by a helmet in every sport more than I've been bothered by one.

Just gently tap your forehead on the corner of a 4x4 post and then imagine doing that at 35mph.

Had my board hit me in the forehead when I was doing a kiteloop once and botched the landing. I saw stars but was fine after a minute... without a helmet I may been knocked out and drown.

There was an incident awhile back about a pro getting hit by his board in the head (and he wasn't using a leash). He died.

It's always your decision but my life is worth a little inconvenience. It's no worse than a seatbelt.

-tom
Old 06-08-2006, 12:13 PM

I don't care who chooses to wear one, whether it be the best pro, or not. I feel safer without one.

I don't think anyone here has hair like mine, it's much safer to be able to see... trust me on that.

And on the matter of hair, I'll be back, I must go get a haircut.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 PM

Then it won't be in your way now, right? :lol:

Just kidding Kev, just be safe then...
Old 06-08-2006, 02:54 PM
tomstock

No hair issue here obviously ... not for the past 10 years anyway...
Old 06-08-2006, 05:11 PM

i'm all about being safe and all, but i really hate wearing a damn helmet. when i rollerblade i don't wear a helmet, anywhere... hell i don't even own a skate helmet. the skateparks don't really care because they know me. I think they look really stupid too.
i've got friends who rollerblade that make fun of me for wearing a helmet when i kiteboard.
i'm really contemplating on wearing it anymore because of that.

plus whats the point of doing this if it's safe? i like doing this because it makes my adriniline run, it's dangerous, that makes it fun. thats how i feel about it. as long as people don't do stupid things, people won't get hurt.

i know i'm probably gana get a buncha lexures and stuff because of this... i've heard it all before, it's so annoying.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 PM

For me, it's not a thing of looking cool or not. It's just honestly, I feel safer without one. The hearing impairment with the ear pieces was bad, but then the hair in my eyes (It's still long enough to get in the way ) is bad enough... but even without that I don't feel as safe.

Can't explain it...

I try not to ride near anything... so all is good.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:43 PM

Josh, they don't look stupid, they look smart. You have never been someone that I have known to care what others think. You have been an individual and a standout the whole time I have known you bud.

Let me share a story about one of my brothers childhood friends. He moved out to San Diego with another of my brothers childhood friends after College and they roomed together...their names were John and Steve to make the story simpler to understand. One night, they thought it would be fun to get on their "longboard" skateboards (the ones that feel kinda like surfboards when you ride them) and be pulled by their dog by holding onto its leash while it ran ahead. Sounds kinda harmless and even fun, right? Well, neither were wearing helmets and when John took his turn with the dog and disappeared around the corner, Steve rode up behind John and the dog who had momentarily disappeared from his view to find the dog sitting on the side of the road next to John who was all sprawled out over the sidewalk and grass. John was a big prankster growing up, a real wiseass too. But you couldn't help but like him, he was a great kid. So when Steve caught up, he naturally thought John was just screwing around so he told him to cut it out, they both had to get home because they had to work the following morning. After a couple of these remarks, Steve realized that something really was wrong. Turns out that John somehow fell and hit his head and was in a coma. The plug was pulled a week later as he was brain dead anyway and was just being kept alive by machines. Needless to say, my Brother was crushed!!! The doctors said that if he had been wearing a helmet, chances were that he would have just hit his head, gotten back up at the worst dazed a little and continued on his way home that night and to work the next day as usual. Sad story, but reality. My brother honored his name (John Taylor) by naming his dog "Taylor". Josh, I already have a dog named Georgie, I don't need another "Taylor" in the family... :wink:

I don't care if I look like Carrot Top on a bad hair day, I'm wearing a helmet and I refuse to allow Amber to learn until she has hers...she already has a Shred Ready Shaggy on order, the second piece of equipment she has bought only to her seat harness!

I am convinced that helmets will soon be a required piece of equipment to ride anywhere. Just look at high impact sports like Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc. They all started with helmets being optional, that changed over the 'evolution' of those sports...

All I'm saying is helmets are not uncool unless they are sitting in your attic in a box somewhere not being used...

PS - Kev, if your hair gets in your line of view while in your helmet, it'll get in it while you aren't wearing one just as much, maybe more because you won't have any of it pinned down by the helmet. And if you say it is safer to ride without one, I bet I could find you a BUNCH of the most qualified and established doctors, scientists, and safety experts that would beg to differ... :wink:
Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 PM

Never said it was safer, I just feel safer.

When it's pinned down in my eyes, it's harder to brush aside... actually, it's impossible to brush aside. When I used to wear it, it was ALWAYS right in my eyes. When I don't wear it, it's rarely in my eyes.