FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-30-2011, 11:37 PM

Default probably a dumb question, but...

I'll be on the gulf coast in late June this year- Panama City, St petersburg, vacationing with the fam. Should I bother bringing a kite? I just assumed its hot summer doldrums down there at that time... but thought I'd ask the locals.
Cheers, from the Gorge!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:19 AM

Don't know as much up there but down here in tampa that is prime thunderstorm season. U may be able to catch a sea breeze but when those clouds form watch out. The storms are usually in full strength by June 8th in this region but that could vary some as we are a couple hundred miles south and east. Naturally, if u bring a kite there will be no wind and u won't use it, if u don't it'll blow every day in epic proportions. Hope that helps.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:44 PM

Check NOAA ( http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...830&syn=gmz800 ) the day b4 u leave. If it's not calling for 15 and up then forget it. Direction doesn't matter. We have beaches for every direction.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 PM

Skemp nailed it on what to expect. You'll be lucky to get a couple of hours before the thunderstorms hit. Wicked nasty weather sometimes, but I think last June or two provided some good riding opportunities (if you're not chained to a desk.)

Hit me up for a session and I will loan you some gear at no charge (thanks for checkin' in with the locals first.)

You can find complete launch site and downwinder trolley information for the Tampa St. Petersburg area here:

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

(813) 389-3683 Steve S.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:01 PM

thanks for the comments. I'll eyeball the forecast and then decide whether to pack the 15m. I love the thought of being able to ride somewhere without a wetsuit, so I tend to get overly optimistic about the wind. I'll probably just end up SUPing with the kids. fun either way!