FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-17-2006, 11:22 PM

Default Early riding tuesday 4/18...

Hey ya'll I'm new to the sport, but a veteran to the area, and I think this is my first post; So Hi, I'm Cory, and this is my favorite sport ever, and I've only barely been up on the board :P...

Anyways I've been waiting for some calmer winds to practice the noobie stuff I need to practice, and hopefully tomorrow morning will provide, gonna take a bigger kite out and give the winds a try... Its been my experience that ikitesurf usually forecasts a little slower than what blows in, and I don't know if anyone uses http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/ifps/tbw/GFE/Aviation.html but it looks promising... (I don't know if theres a post about that system in the previous link, but its an awesome setup... I found it on my own but the word should be spread if it isnt already)

There I go rambling... just shoutin out that there'll be at least one kite up tomorrow, probably at the tip of north beach, it'd be great to see more; I gotta be at work at 4 in New Tampa, so i'll be out from around 8 or 9 till about 2... see ya'll on the water ...
Old 04-18-2006, 05:02 AM

Hi Cory Welcome to the forum. Be careful out there, with a west wind and an incoming tide till 2pm a newbie could find himself moving down Bunces pass at a good clip. You might be better off waiting for a NE or S wind and giving East Beach a try first, until you can get up and go upwind at will. If you do go don't kite alone you may find yourself in need of help

Bob
Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 AM

Yeah after seeing the wind shift this morning (and a friend canceling his offer for company) I'm gonna wait untill I get some better conditions...
Old 04-18-2006, 08:14 AM

Definitely try to not head out as a beginner alone.

Was a huge help in many occasions that myself and the guy that took lessons with me and learned with me took turns on the kite while the other watched onshore and helped when needed ( A LOT!!).

There are always guys on the forum heading out if the winds are blowing. Keep an eye out and find out where others are going.

As stated before.. a NE or S wind makes East Beach in Ft. Desoto a riders paradise and that is really the place to learn. Waist deep water in all directions, lots of room to navigate and long beach (that you will be walking many times)

Once you get up and ride, be prepared to become a kite junkie where all you do is breathe, eat and dream about kiting .. plan on quitting your job and sitting at home watching for subtle changes in the weather that might amount to enough wind to get your fix. Oh.. if you have a girlfriend and/or wife and/or kids.. prepare to put them to the side for a while during the fall/winter/spring months.

-B

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 04-18-2006, 08:57 AM

Lol thanks for the replies, and trust me, after a few lessons and a lot of research I'm already as much of a junkie as most of the people on all the forums :P ... I've been going to Ft. Desoto since I was a little kid, and I'm at the point where I knew where my instructor was going to tell me to meet before he told me... I've been flying stunt kites for years and boarding has challenged those skills to the max, but its all worth it... I keep an eye on the forums and friends so I can find people to go out with, so I hope to see ya'll out there. And I've already warned the girlfriend 8)
Old 04-18-2006, 09:05 AM

Welcome BeSublime!!! But better yet, try and convert her to being a kiter and all your problems are solved!!!