FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > Travel
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-28-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Cabarete Hotels

Hello, I will be traveling by myself (my friends can't make the trip and I need to take vacations) and I am planning on going on a solo trip to cabarete to improve my level a couple of notches. Can anyone recommend hotels where to stay keeping in mind that are close to the beach and the nightlife ...thanks!!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Felipe,

Sorry for the slow comeback on this. Hope you still need the information. There are people on here that go to Cabarete a lot more often than I do and my information is somewhat dated, last trip July 2004. Anyway, a good site with lots of info about Cabarete is:

http://www.activecabarete.com/

I've stayed at and can vouch for the following hotels, at least when I was there:

http://www.activecabarete.com/cabare...villataina.com

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-33..._and_reviews-i

http://www.windsurfcabarete.com/
(this one is pretty far to the east of the kiting area, at the east end of town). We stayed there in 2000 when a busy day consisted of 2 to 3 kiters on the water and the rest windsurfers.

I've heard good things about this place but haven't stayed there myself:
http://www.activecabarete.com/cabare...telcaracol.com

There are hotels located in and near downtown and opposite the east end of Cabarete Bay, the windsurfer part.

Then there are hotels further west, along the western part of Bozo Beach and Kite Beach past the point. Kiting is permitted in both of these areas.

If you like a good french dinner consider the El Magnifico on the beach at the eastern end of Cabarete Bay.

Have fun!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-22-2007, 04:52 PM
ruffridah89

Rick,
Im planning to go there next year, but would like to know how far cabarete is from puerto plata and punta cana?
Thanks
Old 06-23-2007, 10:16 AM

Fly into puerto plata its only a 20 minute ride to Cabarete. Aslo carry some cash with you. There is an entry fee that has to be paid at the airport before going through customs at the airport it's either $10 or $20.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000 View Post
Rick,
Im planning to go there next year, but would like to know how far cabarete is from puerto plata and punta cana?
Thanks
Most everyone heading to Cabarete via plane flys into Puerto Plata as Chris says. I think there might be an unofficial, official customs shake down for $5. USD or more per passenger. At least there was in 2004. It looks like taxi fare may be up to $30. TO 35. USD one way to Cabarete from Puerto Plata.

A pretty good map of DR appears at:
http://www.puntacana.net/img/roadmap.gif

I would check it out for distances, etc.. I've never been to Punta Cana. In 2004 we drove as far as we wanted to east of Cabarete and barely made Samana. It was the first time I rented a car there and I am not sure that I would recommend this to others. The roads are not all that great and when I was there some idiots were screwing with the petroleum supply at power plants and the gas stations (politics at work). I understand that there is a far closer airport than Puerto Plata, Punta Cana Intl. and there is still another one between the two beginning with La Romana? A taxi from Punta Cana to Cabarete will only cost about $250 USD and take 8 to 10 hours. Summing that up, DON'T DO IT!!!

If you want to do both Cabarete and Punta Cana (which is supposed to have less favorable wind) you might look into a commuter flight.

Have a good trip!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-23-2007, 07:45 PM
ruffridah89

Thanks guys for the info.
So Rick, your saying that renting a car is a bad thing?
Iv been to one of the worst roads in my life, in Bolivia(very undeveloped country).
Old 06-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000 View Post
Thanks guys for the info.
So Rick, your saying that renting a car is a bad thing?
Iv been to one of the worst roads in my life, in Bolivia(very undeveloped country).
No, I've been in worse settings for renting a car, like Grenada recently. If you are going to stay in Cabartete you really don't need one. If you want to drive along the north coast you might consider it but I would not leave it on the street over night. Some juiced up moped yahoo hit a side view mirror to the tune of $200. USD. Add to that unreliable gas, at least then, we almost ran out. It turned out to be more trouble for us that trip than it was worth.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-23-2007, 10:26 PM

I was just there in february '07. We rented a car from a reputable dealer at the airport in santo domingo, then drove the car across the country to the north and as far west as samana as well. We had no trouble with fuel or break-ins. The roads are bad but nothing a vehicle can't handle. We spent a couple days in Cabarete staying at Ali's Surf Camp. Badass little place that's super-cheap and has AWESOME food!!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:46 AM

Got back from the trip to Cabarete ... I ended up staying at Extreme Hotel in kitebeach which was excellent ... the wind was very similar to Miami in the winter blowing 15-20 so I was on my 12 most of the days ... there were only three days that I got to use my 10 .... I wish it would have been stronger but at least it was constant so it was good

If anyone has any questions on cabarete reply to this thread and I will respond since I am subscribed ...
Old 02-14-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBay Noob View Post
then drove the car across the country to the north and as far west as samana as well.
Wazup guys !

We are going there in Jully/August this year :-)
I'm already been to Cabarete but never to the Peninsula de Samana... So I'm looking to get some infos.
Where did you ride in Samana ?
Did you go to Las Terrenas, Cascadas del Limon, etc ?

Last edited by Gui; 02-14-2008 at 10:49 AM.