FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northeast Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM

Default to cocoa beach crew

hey all, i am a local kiter on the west coast, this past week at siesta key public beach we had a visiting kiter from cocoa beach (don't have his name but he was flying a new 14 blue best kahoona - medium color blue with a white center circle/logo), he is a young white guy early 20s brown hair visiting with family in sarasota

he launched upwind of our crowded public beach, could not stay upwind and rode back and forth a few times in the swim area with the swimmers

life guards were blowing their horns and waving him out, instead of going back out, riding downwind to the end of the public beach and walking his stuff back he rode directly to the beach, head guard rode up in his truck and read him the riot act, i went up and politely asked what just happened, he said guard already spoke to him, i explained to him that siesta is one of THE most crowded public beaches on the west coast and the local crew works very hard to keep in good graces with the guards and that NO WAY, NO HOW do you ride in the swim areas EVER

he explained he could not stay upwind, told me he was visiting from cocoa, asked me how the back knots worked for getting more power out of the kite, said this is a brand new kite and he is used to flying C kites - this time he walked way upwind and rode (not in the swim areas - thank you very much)

i walked back to the guard stations and explained the kiter was not local and that i explained the riding rules to him - i apologized to the guards for his behavior and they thanked me for doing so

i am not posting as a hater, i am posting this because this is how shit happens and how we lose access at our local spots, i would appreciate it, if anyone knows this kiter, if you would explain once again what he SHOULD have done when he could not stay upwind off a crowded and well guarded public beach

i kite all over the US and beyond and when there is no local crew present i always go up to the guards and ask them if it is OK to kite

i encourage all my kiting bros and sistas to visit but be respectful

thanks for reading, thanks for caring, peace out