FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-11-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Bill's Been Riding in Ras Sudr, Egypt!

Thought I would throw a rare post up to say hello to my Tampa Bay area rider-buddies! Hope you are all well, the cold NE wind is on it's way down from Canada and there have been no serious injuries or mishaps.

Been here in Cairo since March. Kiting every single weekend without fail unless I am traveling. Riding in the sickest spot on earth - called Ras Sudr. Check it out on Google Earth, you can see the three huge lagoons right off the Red Sea. It's on the Sinai Peninsula just below the Suez Canal. It's insane. 3 huge lagoons, two man made, dug in directly from the Red Sea. Flattest, clearest water you will EVER see and the thermal winds build and blast off the desert and land on Ras Sudr, directly. Average wind speed is about 22 knots, with typical riding days around 25 plus. Pushing 30s this weekend. Super clean wind and lighter due to the heat. Very manageable with the right gear. I am riding the Switchblade 3s from my friends at Watersports West - Thanks John! - and riding the hell out of my 8m. The only kite I ride basically. That kite and the Nobile 666 and I am dialed in. Huge air and easy unhooked stuff now. Threw my first 313 air pass in above 25 knots, powered up. Anyway, buying a villa (finally Dennis!) here on the lagoon as the price can't be beat. Plenty of room guys. Anyone interested in first hand account of the place, talk to Dennis (Rusky - our Ukranian brother!) as he came and spent a week with me and rode the shit out of the place. It is truly paradise. I put it against any place on earth in regard to dependable, daily wind (blasts here) and flat, clear water. No rocks, shells, anything but sand and water - actually quite bizarre. Getting into the heavier wind months, September through January where it freakin nukes. I rode today in 30knots, board shorts and warm. Anyway, hoping more of you boys take me up on the offer to come and ride. What happened to Chase? He never showed up after being in Israel and then traveling here. Hope he's okay. Dennis mate, come on back. I will have the villa and we can start bringing over those mad Russians to pay my mortgage payments! By the way, the Nobile Skim board is sick. Stay safe and help out Toby whenever possible!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Bill,
It is great to hear from you! I'm glad things are working out for you over there. We all miss your smiling face at the local launches. Ras Sudr sounds most excellent. Our season has just barely started and everyone is eagerly waiting for the first real cold front.

Man 25kts, warm and flat sure sounds good. I'll have to see how the markets shake out over the next few months and I might just be looking for new employment as a professional kite catcher, touble is I don't think I'll be the only one. Its all good though, the wind always blows for free and anyone who has friends is truly rich.

Please keep us all posted on your continuing adventures.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Default all good

Whats up Bill?!! I'm alive! lol....yeah, communication kind of broke down right before I came. You were heading to a tourney and I was on my way to the border. No worries man! Everything worked out beautifully and I had a great time! I went down to Aswan in the south and did a Nile cruise and checked out all the ancient spots....Valley of The Kings, Abu Simbel, the Pyramids....it was amazing! Def. some spots on the river that would be great kiting...minus the polluted water. Then I spent about a week in Sinai....no kiting, just relaxed and had a great time. Egypt and Israel will definitely be seeing me again sometime in the future!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:49 PM

Thumbs up Good times... definitely :))

Some pix attached... the spot is a dream, for sure.

The vid:

Last edited by Russky; 10-15-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:54 AM

Dennis...while the video is decent - doesn't do the place justice - YOUR AUDIO IS HILLARIOUS! As you know, I know a little Russian and that is NOT Russian! Sounds like you are singing (if you can call it that) along with your iPod or something. It certainly makes the video! Had another amazing weekend this weekend. Winter is coming. Weather is like 80 to 83 degrees, wind is cooler and is howling across the lagoons. Riding with boardies and 2m top. 8meter powered up as usual. And, doing an inspection of a new villa on the lagoon next weekend. Finally time to move on something. Get the Ukranian's lined up to rent my place. You get 15 weeks a year - and that is it! On a side note, I will be home for Christmas - December 22 to January 5th. Landing in Dulles and then visiting my family in Philly and NYC. Making a trip down to Florida to ride with you boys around New Year's. With my hot little Egyptian-Euro in tow - hopefully!
Old 10-19-2008, 03:02 PM

Yeah that was a sweet soundtrack to the vid!!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 AM

Talking

Dennis...

All I have to say is LMFAO!!

When we do another down wind run again and hear you making these sounds I just might crash from laughing to hard. Great video Dennis. I'm envious.