FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-28-2008, 02:00 PM
<jason

Default what size fins u guys riding for the gulf chop?

im using 2" KF5's, and yesterday in the chop at NB my board kept sliding out from under me... i could get it under control and all, ( maybe only cause im not used to riding this kind of board ) but just wondering if anyone changes thier fins for different conditions...or has any recomendations for sizes ect...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Skyway Scott

I don't think many guys are changing out fins, Jason.
2 inches is plenty big. Getting use to the chop takes some time.
I am wondering if maybe you were applying too much back leg pressure while getting airborne and then spinning out when landing.
That's really easy to do, even on dinky jumps, when first starting. If too much back leg pressure, even a little release from the water spells S P I N O U T.
Sometimes it's best to point slightly downwind when popping up and over chop.
Whatcha' think? Were you "spinning out" come down off of chop, or just all the time?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM
<jason

def off of the chop...
although when i was prepared for it i was ok...
i set up for a incomming swell load the kite a little try to pop off of the water a get a few feet up and land fine... i think it was mostly when waterstarting as soon as i would get up id come off the back of a swell and the back would slide out.....prolly what u said,... too much back leg pressure....
Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Skyway Scott

It's hard to know. When we see it, guys can help you.
I don't think it's a fin issue though.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Tom Stock

Edging too hard? Try standing up straight. I use 1.5's myself. Scott likes bigger fins than I do... 2"?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:45 PM
<jason

Thumbs up

Hey tom..

U said 2"?...
Is that odd? They came stock w/my board.. But then again its a weird shape aswell...140x38 everyone around here seems to use really wide boards, this thing seems skinny to me. Says its good to learn to jump with but feels kinda heavy...well not really heavy but you know...
Oh well what do i know...im used to my surfboard its maybe 2Lbs....

Oh yea "standing up straight"...
Holy crap nothing new for u guys but when i would ease off my edge the board would bearly skim the top of the water and it felt like i just hit the freakin turbo button...i would get goin so fast i was out of control then i would just beef it ... My wife was laughing her a$$ off...it was awesome
Just for the record i have had so much fun learning to do this $hit and want to thant ALL of U for dealing with my endless questions...!
"All kite rock and so do you guys"
Jason...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Skyway Scott

I don't like big fins, my board just has them.
I like 45 cm fins. I gave Donna the Flexi with the less aggressive fin setup

Ugh, 38 wide. Yikes... Jason, if you are going upwind on that, you are a master level kiter at your size, seriously.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:02 PM
<jason

What the heck does that mean...
Now i have more questions...
Is thet not wide enough.. to wide...? What...?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
What the heck does that mean...
Now i have more questions...
Is thet not wide enough.. to wide...? What...?

36-38cm is what we started out with in the begining, but we all learned that 39-44 was best depending on board length from 133-156. Also obviously if windy or not.

as far as fins, you only really need them for re-entry from jumping.
if you are spinning out then maybe rocker on your board is bad.
Personally , I use 1 3/4" on my twintips but anywhere from 1 1/2" to 2 1/4" fins work fine. I never change them
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Skyway Scott

I messed up, Donna's fins are 45mm... yikes.

I think 38 is pretty narrow. It's almost always better to err on slightly too big a board (especially width) to start, than too narrow. Especially in FL, most guys end up getting a light wind board eventually, anyway. Like Raul says, we have grown wise to what board works for kiting and not wakeboarding.

I ride a 40 cm wide board from 15 to ??? and I weigh 160.
Most guys in the 190 or more range around here are riding 42 wide or so, even in reasonable wind. Yes, 2 cm in width makes a world of difference in planing and upwind ability, all other factors being constant. 4 cms is night and day.

If you are going upwind on your board, wait til you try a wider board, holy moley, you will go WAY upwind. I honestly can't believe you were making a 13m kite and that board work in sub 20. Nice job.

I just looked at your avatar again. Maybe you aren't very big... and your board is just REALLY small!?