FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM

You are dead on Alex. He did not know. His mom had been bringing him up to ride at sunset while she would sit on the beach. They watched other kiters riding in that area on every occasion that they had been there. Common practice.

Hell I didn't know I was considered a vessel (once under way, powered by the kite) until a County sheriff showed me in the code book.

The day the cops came there were many passes made thru the swim zone. Alex (the new rider's name also) just happen to be the one that flipped the switch on the man on the beach that made the call.

I have know Alex and his family since he was 8 years old, it was no problem to let him know what was going on and how to fix it. He is good to go now.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

Last edited by Whitey; 06-27-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:25 PM

Craig, that's brings up an important point. Monkey see, monkey do.
That's why (imo) instructors and vets should set a better example. When they don't, it's obvious how new riders will act.
Did he take lessons? Was staying a certain distance out not covered?

Anyway, this kind of stuff has been discussed for oh so long. You guys have fun with it.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Hell I didn't know I was considered a vessel (once under way, powered by the kite) until a County sherrif showed me in the code book.
Nobody has mentioned this but I consider this info from Whitey the most important piece of information in this thread.

WE ARE VESSELS therefore we are prohibited from swim zones, period.

We have been arguing this point for years... now here the county sheriff just set us straight yet again. The coast guard and beach police did the same thing about 9 months ago when they threatened to fine us at T.I. if we rode through the swim zone after we launched. In fact they told us we could not ride through the swim zone period, even to get out past it. If we wanted to ride we had to launch outside the swim zone (further down the beach). Seems someone earlier (around TI, PAG or Sunset) had royally pissed someone off and the police were notified. We had just arrived so it was not us.

If you are still riding through swim zones you are seriously jeopardizing our access.

-tom
Old 06-27-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
If you are still riding through swim zones you are seriously jeopardizing our access.

Just thought that should be stated again.

Was out at IRB having a nice sunset session after work today. God was it beautiful out there. Anyway, saw a rider a couple 100 yds up the beach tacking about 10 feet from shore with kite over heads. Went up to see who it was and it was a rider I regularly see from Sunset Park. Was so bummed. He looked at me and gave me a big smile as if I was going to stay and sesh with him, I however just took off and went about a mile south. Couldn't really address the problem there, but I will address it next time I see him at Sunset Park. I hope he gets it. One rider at a time I guess will be my approach.

Couldn't imagine not being able to get off work, drive 5 minutes down to the beach and not being able to ride ever again. That would really be a dark day for me personally.

It is so blantantly obvious to me now what I must do.

Is it obvious to you????