FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! ***
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default KEYS - Alligator Light Kite Roundwinder Race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
i really like the round the alligator race as well. i have raced windsurfers around the light house at least 6 times. i think that i have more second place finishes than any other windsurfer! actually Gebi beat me about 4 years ago in a very close race. he actually blew out his back in the race and then went to the world down under and had to withdraw from the event. kind of made me feel good!

on kites the race would be awesome! i would assume that if you had 3 days in jan that you would get the right conditions at some point. what do you think?

Kent
I think I've been there five or six times by kite over the years. I tried with a windsurfer in the 1998 and 2001 Proams and didn't come close. Not enough wind the last time and probably not good enough the first time with the wind speed and direction. More about two of the times by kite at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=657

I would think it is a good bet we would have a number of useable wind days in January. Where would you want to run it from, Holiday Isle (if they let us), Whale Harbor, the Moorings or ???

So, what wind directions would you want to run this in? I've done it on a variety of directions ranging from almost ENE to just a little south of E I think. The closer to north it gets the tougher the northbound return tack. That is the one that I think took over 30 miles + to make it back to the Ragged Edge with a ridiculous number of flat tacks. That distance is closer to 8 miles and more upwind than the odd 6 to Holiday Isle closer to the beam on that wind.

The runs I've done were impromptu. Laura would go to lunch, all that flat water would start to make me fall asleep and I would say OK, lets do a roundwinder to Alligator Light. To do a race though it would be more involved as you know from all the races you've run out there.

What do you think?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

No interest in this?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:27 PM

i think that there is tons of interest in this. the new shop in the keys is working on something, but might put it off until spring.

i bet that i can pull a permit at crandon to do a very similar race form crandon around fowey rocks light house and back. i think it's about 8.5 each way. miami is a little easier to get to for most folks. if we have interest, i can put something together for Jan. thoughts?

Kent
Old 11-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Ah, didn't know the Backcountry guys were going to put something together. Their backyard, should be a better way to do it. It really is a pretty easy run, far easier with a kite than on a windsurfer.

Looking at Google Earth (GE), it is about 9 miles as the crow flies. What wind directions would you run this in? I'll capture and upload the image soon. If the wind is less than ideal, a bit more northerly, it is easy to trend too far westward. What about a two legged race, Crandon-Fowey-Matheson? It works out to around 21 miles as the crow flies and might be more forgiving of a more northerly than ideal wind like from the NE. Here's a question, would we be able readily see marks to steer on for the return trip? Or would we have to steer on the Cape Florida Lighthouse or maybe a large house in Stiltsville until the Matheson mark showed up.

What wind directions would you try to run a point to point race in (Crandon to Fowey alone)? Do you think it would work, leeway and set considered with an easterly wind? The return would be easy enough, getting to Fowey is what I am wondering about.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 11-27-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just put the image in and some questions to go with. Could be fun. What do you think of the options and ideal wind directions?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi