FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default LIVE Cams!

Erdman Video Systems continues to do a great job bringing nearshore conditions to the Net. Checkout all the hi res live cam facilities they now have at: http://www.video-monitoring.com/monitor_shoreline.htm

Boca Inlet, FL
Boynton Inlet, FL
Lake Worth Inlet, FL
Jupiter Inlet, FL
Martin County, FL
St. Lucie Inlet, FL NEW!
Sebastian Inlet, FL NEW!
Potomac River, MD
Monmouth Beach, NJ
Santa Cruz, CA -- New!!!
San Franciso, CA
Lerici, Italy
Sarzana, Italy

They have recently added Sebastian and St. Lucie Inlets. EVS has some real sophisticated video products as well. There realtime wind records may be off at times however. With local knowledge you may be able to apply corrections to the readings for certain directions.

Sebastian Inlet. EVS has some great 180 degree panoramas that really show the surf conditions around the inlet. If only they could image the sharks too!

Lake Worth Inlet

Boynton Inlet
Old 03-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Skyway Scott

Thanks for the post, Rick.
I saw a clip from the Jupiter cam on KF last night, with the "offshore" debate.

You already know I am a big fan of cameras. I use the local cam exclusively for seabreeze info, as sensors that update every 3 hours are useless.
Our baynews9 cam updates every 3 minutes, and whitecaps don't lie, especially when you see kiter ripping it up (bastages!! LOL)
I think that (3 minutes) is the optimal refresh rate/per cost ratio, to see whitecaps. 10 minutes is spaced to far apart. I think 1 minute would be great, but not really necessary.

Anyway, I know that that company installs cameras to monitor work and security and possible emergency situations, etc. not wind. So a 15 minute refresh rate seems okay for them.

I noticed the cost is 300 a month (ouchie). Do you know, is iKite ever (maybe already have) going to incorporate cams? They get pretty good advertising dollar right now to simply link to existing sensors (in our area, anyway). It'd be nice (and a wise investment) to see them take advantage of this technology on their site. I am confident people would look at the cams, a lot. Especially if one was at the skyway. It'd get HUGE numbers of views.

Oh, anyone with the know-how locally (St.Pete), I still have 300 bucks set aside for a cam project. I am confident that if we had a cam installed, we would look back and wonder why we waited so long to do it. I just don't know how to hook it up and when I look at company's that do this, well, they have to make a profit, don't they? We might get away with a reasonable price.

Thanks Rick for the post. We have a local camera that is real time, and actually allows the internet viewer to control it. It is up more North. I promised I would not divulge the (specific) info. Let's just say it is kick ass. Can zoom in and everything.

Too far north for me, though
Old 03-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Can't Re-member

Thats called teasing!

no fair

give the info!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Skyway Scott

Can't. Made a promise. Just trust me, it is unreal. It has zoom and pan capabilities and is real time at 15 fps. We don't need that kinda overkill, but hey... it'd be nice.