FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Sunset Session Off Hillsboro Lighthouse

I went out late yesterday, just before sunset. I wanted to try out the new GoPro HD2 camera kiting for the first time. It was mounted on my helmet. Here is some of what came out of the session.

Launching fast, daylight is burning as they say. The wind was out of the NNE making it a close to upwind run about a 1/2 mile to the lighthouse. Fortunately, the 2012 Cabrinha 14 m Switchblade made the run fast and easy. The wind was up and down a bit too.

The GoPro sure does a nice treatment on spray.

Running out to tack upwind. Will I make it up and shoot the lighthouse before sunset?

Coming in and it is still light out. I've been playing with HDR effects. I like this one for the "old postcard" look the colors have.

This was shot about a 1/4 mile south of the above image. Just trying to break things up a bit.

The sun is well below the horizon and things are getting darker.

Well the pelicans are flying back south, must be my que to follow suit.

Here is a short unprocessed video clip from the session. This was shot about 15 minutes after sunset and yet the light level is quite good. You can see how bright the moon is and the sky is lighter than it looked to the naked eye. The sound fidelity is improved with the HD2 as well. One of the more obvious improvements are clear, audible noises when you change shooting modes. I could easily hear them even when running with a helmet on in waves.

Here is another video, shot well after dark and over 45 minutes after sunset. I just put it up to show the improved lower light capability of the HD2. It is kind of dark, still it captured the moon, moon trail and even a planet and the after glow over the coast.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 11-09-2011 at 11:03 PM.