FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-13-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Launches in the keys

I've got to be down in the keys the last week in May, first week of June for business around lower marathon / Vaca/ Boot key. Where are some good launch sites down that way. I'll have access to several boats while down there too. I'm tech support for the annual AMI presidents dive invitational. ( a scuba get together for some of the kids that attend our JD schools) Unfortunately none of my co workers kite.

Bob
Old 05-13-2006, 07:35 PM
E-Bone

Don't launch off of the mainland. If you are in the lower Keys, boat over to an island, set up in the shallows on the lee side (watch for sharp stuff), then launch. Bring an associate who can launch and land your kite and come with the boat, if needed.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:33 AM

I agree with E-Bone, if you have the means to do so, go hit an island off the mainland. But in case you don't have that luxury and the boats are being used, on the right wind direction there are a couple of safe launches from the mainland.

Key West has a long strip of beach called Smathers Beach with nice access to some good flat water. Bahia Honda is a key next to Big Pine Key where I stayed is a State Park that encompasses all of that key and has some safe launches for a few different wind directions, flat water there too. Check 'em out Bob!!!

There is also a launch up around Islamorada on the side of the road, but don't even bother stopping...it is WAY sketchy, about 100 times sketchier than the backside of the Skyway launch!

Hope you have fun Bob!