FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-11-2008, 09:02 PM

Default Miami west wind.. Best spot?

Hi guys, im from lauderdale.. advanced rider, headed down to miami tommorrow to get a session in. Wind forecast is looking like 20mph from the west. Where is rideable in miami on a west wind. I know hobie beach can be done atleast on a wsw, matheson is better east/se, and crandon is defiantly not working on a west. Most likely needs to be somewhere where I can launch of ground, rather then a boat. I heared about next to rickenbauker causeway... maybe hobie is my best bet. Also, at west point sand bars, (boat accessable only) is there an area to down / launch a kite, or is it just done off the boat.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

If you REALLY want to get the most out of tomorrows wind, grab a sea taxi ride out to the Flats. The wind will be far more even, 6 or so miles can ease wind shadow somewhat, no beaches to stop at, strolling bystanders to deal with or cars/timber posts to get lofted into. Otherwise Hobie is about it for reasonable shoreside access all be it with more gusty winds, cars and poles to deal with if it gets too uneven.

Another possibility for shore launch would be a road trip north to Sebastian Inlet. The launch is at the west end of the land mass extending into the ICW but east of the fenced off bird area.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-11-2008, 09:32 PM

Yea was thinking about melbourne area but Im so much closer to miami. Yea I was looking at the west point sandbars on google earth a minute ago and it popped out to me. I agree it would be way way not as gusty there. I have a dingy I could actually takeout. Hows the sea taxi work? Is it ran by kiters? You take it out therE, and they just drop you off in a few feet of water? you pump up on there boat? and when you want to come back... ? There is no beach whatsoever out there? or no sandbar sticking out of the water?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, the sea taxi operations are run by kiting schools, more at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4866
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=1263
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=3519
http://www.miamikiteboarding.com/

Even if you have a boat, it would be best to go out with the Pros initially to learn about boat launch, the Flats, channels, tidal ranges, riding areas, things to avoid, etc..

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

There are spots in Melbourne too, the ICW is about 3 miles wide in spots. Still, Sebastian comes close to that as I recall and the western shore is fairly flat. You need to watch out for the birds, not to unduly spook them to avoid ban hassles and launch and get away from land and all the hard stuff there.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-11-2008, 09:51 PM

Yea cool, ill look more into those threads..... Any clue what they charge to take you out there?
And wow, that boat in the 3rd link is sick, the baby blue hull'd one.... Im in the market for a boat right now heh, any clue on the make/size? =) (sry a little off topic)

-Bobby
Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Not sure these days perhaps around $70.. In good wind it is worth it for primo riding conditions.

Have no clue about current boat prices. I am a very happy ex-boat owner from some years in the past. Give the guys a call, they may still have some room left for tomorrow.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi